Where is this security bar?

How well do you know Leeds?
LS1

Post by LS1 »

Did there used to be an "upper" one of these streets?!I used to walk past every day and it's taken me until now to work out where it is!!    Pretty sure you'd not get much back depositing any cash in this place now.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

LS1 wrote: Did there used to be an "upper" one of these streets?!I used to walk past every day and it's taken me until now to work out where it is!!    Pretty sure you'd not get much back depositing any cash in this place now. Hi LS1 .Yes there was an "upper". I'm not sure though if there was ever a "lower" by name. I think it is time to state the location for those who may not have yet know. It is at the Mill Hill street side of Ladbrokes betting shop (hence my cryptic "bet" clues) whose entrance is at 29 Boar Lane.I have not been able to readily find any old photos showing the bar so I don't know when it may have been put there. Perhaps it was a security feature for the bank or even for the chemist, but as the building seems old it may have been installed for any previous business. The covered over feature intrigues me. Perhaps it was space for money to be lifted in and out of the bank, or possibly some even older purpose. Incidentally the bar is visible in the current Google Street View, but not well as wheelie bins block the view!    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

A wild guess but those premises were The Saracens Head a Public House at one time. It might of been rebuilt but could the "space" be a old beer drop EDIT - The Saracens Head is in the 1908 Directory but I don't know when it ceased to be a pub
Attachments
Sarancens Head.jpeg
Sarancens Head.jpeg (92.25 KiB) Viewed 3270 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

uncle mick wrote: A wild guess but those premises were The Saracens Head a Public House at one time. It might of been rebuilt but could the "space" be a old beer drop EDIT - The Saracens Head is in the 1908 Directory but I don't know when it ceased to be a pub Cheers uncle mick .That the "space" might have been a beer drop is an excellent suggestion.

jim

Post by jim »

Wasn't this Boot's chemists shop? In the early 50s I went twice a week for my mothers personal asthma prescription. Having to pay 6/8d a bottle at a time when wages were aroung £8 -£12 made it an expensive job. I remember the prescription number after all these years - Y212.4. I also remember waiting for it at 8pm one Christmas Eve, as the shop practically never closed, and was either very late night opening, or perhaps even 24 hr. They had a "pay" lending library upstairs.I also seem to remember quite a few of these spiked rotating bars fitted to public buildings in the 1940s/50s. I had thought that 'elf and safety had meant their total removal.        

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Leodis has a few imageshttp://www.leodis.org/searchResults.aspx?LOCID ... 0including two or 3 which show Nat West in the premises. Non close enough to show the bar though.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

jim wrote: Wasn't this next to Boot's chemists shop? In the early 50s I went twice a week for my mothers personal asthma prescription. Having to pay 6/8d a bottle at a time when wages were aroung £8 -£12 made it an expensive job. I remember the prescription number after all these years - Y212.4. I also remember waiting for it at 8pm one Christmas Eve, as the shop practically never closed, and was either very late night opening, or perhaps even 24 hr. They had a "pay" lending library upstairs.I also seem to remember quite a few of these spiked rotating bars fitted to public buildings in the 1940s/50s. I had thought that 'elf and safety had meant their total removal.     jim. Boots was in the same building so the building has had a varied past. Pub,Chemist,Bank & now a Bookies. If "litts" is reading would he be good enough to tell us when last orders were called at The Saracens Head.http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL    

jim

Post by jim »

Thanks uncle mick. I have modified my post appropriately.    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks also uncle mick. Your "the building has had a varied past. Pub,Chemist,Bank & now a Bookies" made me . It can't be long then before it's a charity shop that also does fast food (I would have said also sells mobile phones but there are now fewer of those since the larger branches opened in the Trinity Centre).PS. Can anyone work out (or knows) what the sign states that is above the 'Restaurant Hotel' in the Leodis image link provided by uncle mick http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... k4KQg.dpuf It almost looks like a street sign.

jim

Post by jim »

-