PARK your RIDE

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

Could have had one on the Clariant chemicals site instead of identikit "executive" houses a long way from shops and schools. Reopen Calverley Station with a through route for express trains and you've got an ideal place for park & ride.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

As you say, the Elland Rd site appears to be far too close to the city centre.At the risk of going over very old ground again, P+R on the fringes of the city is exactly what the Eastern route of the Super Tram was meant to be. A big P+R at Grimes Dyke, fast limited stop transit to the city centre straight down the centre of York Road where the old trams used to run. It would have worked marvelously.But the usual suspects got involved, the Supertram route morphed into a grand wandering scheme taking in half of East Leeds that would take longer to get to the city centre than the existing buses and York Road eventually given over to a misguided bus way which Worst now have a total monopoly on and which only has stopping services using it.No wonder the tram got cancelled.    
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

New Park and Ride bus livery posted on Flickr:http://snipurl.com/290luiwThe route shown on the side suggests stops on Meadow Lane and Great Wilson Street, which makes sense given the offices thereabouts. I still think 10 minutes each way might be a bit optimistic at the peaks of rush hour traffic though...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

raveydavey wrote: New Park and Ride bus livery posted on Flickr:http://snipurl.com/290luiwThe route shown on the side suggests stops on Meadow Lane and Great Wilson Street, which makes sense given the offices thereabouts. I still think 10 minutes each way might be a bit optimistic at the peaks of rush hour traffic though... Thats the key Dave, there are no dedicated lanes or roadside technology to facilitate this.Its gonna get stuck.I know im sounding negative here, i personally believe that Park and Ride is the only viable (and i mean by that realistic cheap option in that we wont get a supertram or underground) that we will get in Leeds as a means of getting people to leave their cars outside the city centre and reduce traffic therein.Having a small scheme that is virtually in the city centre itself does not appear to address the situation as it is and how it will eventually be.Reducing the traffic coming into Leeds by getting commuters to leave their cars at a fast, frequent, minimal stopping Park and Ride scheme on the extremes of Leeds would be of great benefit to those commuters and the citizens of Leeds as they (the commuters) will have less traffic to deal with on their journey home and the residents WITHIN Leeds will experience a reduced journey time to work themselves (be it on public transport or in a car) and also a reduction in city centre pollution.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

simong

Post by simong »

New Pudsey railway station has reasonably good parking and is on the ring road and is a return ticket is actually cheaper and faster than the bus off peak. With a bit of planning there's very nearly a good park and ride site there. Ah yes, planning...

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

cnosni wrote: raveydavey wrote: New Park and Ride bus livery posted on Flickr:http://snipurl.com/290luiwThe route shown on the side suggests stops on Meadow Lane and Great Wilson Street, which makes sense given the offices thereabouts. I still think 10 minutes each way might be a bit optimistic at the peaks of rush hour traffic though... Thats the key Dave, there are no dedicated lanes or roadside technology to facilitate this.Its gonna get stuck.I know im sounding negative here, i personally believe that Park and Ride is the only viable (and i mean by that realistic cheap option in that we wont get a supertram or underground) that we will get in Leeds as a means of getting people to leave their cars outside the city centre and reduce traffic therein.Having a small scheme that is virtually in the city centre itself does not appear to address the situation as it is and how it will eventually be.Reducing the traffic coming into Leeds by getting commuters to leave their cars at a fast, frequent, minimal stopping Park and Ride scheme on the extremes of Leeds would be of great benefit to those commuters and the citizens of Leeds as they (the commuters) will have less traffic to deal with on their journey home and the residents WITHIN Leeds will experience a reduced journey time to work themselves (be it on public transport or in a car) and also a reduction in city centre pollution. There is work going on at the slip road off the M621 where it crosses Jack Lane. Rumour is that this is to facilitate some sort of bus gate presumably to avoid the P+R buses queuing to get off the motorway?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

raveydavey wrote: cnosni wrote: raveydavey wrote: New Park and Ride bus livery posted on Flickr:http://snipurl.com/290luiwThe route shown on the side suggests stops on Meadow Lane and Great Wilson Street, which makes sense given the offices thereabouts. I still think 10 minutes each way might be a bit optimistic at the peaks of rush hour traffic though... Thats the key Dave, there are no dedicated lanes or roadside technology to facilitate this.Its gonna get stuck.I know im sounding negative here, i personally believe that Park and Ride is the only viable (and i mean by that realistic cheap option in that we wont get a supertram or underground) that we will get in Leeds as a means of getting people to leave their cars outside the city centre and reduce traffic therein.Having a small scheme that is virtually in the city centre itself does not appear to address the situation as it is and how it will eventually be.Reducing the traffic coming into Leeds by getting commuters to leave their cars at a fast, frequent, minimal stopping Park and Ride scheme on the extremes of Leeds would be of great benefit to those commuters and the citizens of Leeds as they (the commuters) will have less traffic to deal with on their journey home and the residents WITHIN Leeds will experience a reduced journey time to work themselves (be it on public transport or in a car) and also a reduction in city centre pollution. There is work going on at the slip road off the M621 where it crosses Jack Lane. Rumour is that this is to facilitate some sort of bus gate presumably to avoid the P+R buses queuing to get off the motorway? Also something going off where Elland Road meets the Ring Road (opposite PC World and B and Q), looks like it could be some sort of deicated slip road avoiding the lights outside Cottingley Crematorium.Not sure how 15 yards of dedicated lane (if thats what it is) will be of great help.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

While I can find no mention of it elsewhere the Metro Messenger email I received last week said there would be a bus priority lane from junction 3.Note it did say from and not to. The from may be a bit difficult given that the onslip is initiall a single lane which becomes 2 and joins the single lane continuation which then has to merge right as it immediately becomes the offslip for Cemetery road.I would imagine outbound it would make sense to come off at junction 1 and keep turning left but inbound it probably would make more sense to turn left on to Elland Road and join the motrway at junction 2.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I took this photo today (June 19 2014) showing this electronic sign on Bishopgate Street just before that meets City Square. It's presumably there to inform motorists that have got into the centre of Leeds.
Attachments
005R.jpg
005R.jpg (72.18 KiB) Viewed 2621 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

cnosni wrote: raveydavey wrote: cnosni wrote: raveydavey wrote: New Park and Ride bus livery posted on Flickr:http://snipurl.com/290luiwThe route shown on the side suggests stops on Meadow Lane and Great Wilson Street, which makes sense given the offices thereabouts. I still think 10 minutes each way might be a bit optimistic at the peaks of rush hour traffic though... Thats the key Dave, there are no dedicated lanes or roadside technology to facilitate this.Its gonna get stuck.I know im sounding negative here, i personally believe that Park and Ride is the only viable (and i mean by that realistic cheap option in that we wont get a supertram or underground) that we will get in Leeds as a means of getting people to leave their cars outside the city centre and reduce traffic therein.Having a small scheme that is virtually in the city centre itself does not appear to address the situation as it is and how it will eventually be.Reducing the traffic coming into Leeds by getting commuters to leave their cars at a fast, frequent, minimal stopping Park and Ride scheme on the extremes of Leeds would be of great benefit to those commuters and the citizens of Leeds as they (the commuters) will have less traffic to deal with on their journey home and the residents WITHIN Leeds will experience a reduced journey time to work themselves (be it on public transport or in a car) and also a reduction in city centre pollution. There is work going on at the slip road off the M621 where it crosses Jack Lane. Rumour is that this is to facilitate some sort of bus gate presumably to avoid the P+R buses queuing to get off the motorway? Also something going off where Elland Road meets the Ring Road (opposite PC World and B and Q), looks like it could be some sort of deicated slip road avoiding the lights outside Cottingley Crematorium.Not sure how 15 yards of dedicated lane (if thats what it is) will be of great help. I noticed this on the BBC Leeds website at lunchtime regarding the P+R:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-27913495As is becoming all too common nowadays it seems little more than a Metro press release it but it does make reference to a "A bus priority lane at Junction 3 of the M621 means buses using the site should not have to queue in traffic.", which is presumably the still coned off and not yet completed works I mentioned earlier. Oh, and it shows a bus in the new "livery". Which is nice.