three horseshoes

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
oldkid67

Post by oldkid67 »

my grandson treated me very kindly to something to eat in the very beautiful three horseshoes in oulton , ive never been before and inside was like stepping back in time there were gold plates on the walls and im sure there were old rifles which ive never seen in a pub on the wall before. the big thick oak beams were amazing, are there any other pubs like this around leeds with relics of time gone by on show? also were the gold plates actually a historical item or just something made to look that way? obviously I don't expect them to be gold rather a different material but did intrigue me nontheless

oldkid67

Post by oldkid67 »

well all this information is just blowing me away! wow! thanks guys for all this information , 58 views n no replies , such a wealth of knowledge been shared!!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I'm sure you will get some replies.I assume it is old pubs with genuine stuff in ,not reproduction you mean?although I live near ,i have never been in this pub.Kings Arms at Heath Common is interesting ,having originally been a couple of cottages,plus has one of the best views over Wakefield on a day with sunshine.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

tilly

Post by tilly »

oldkid67 wrote: well all this information is just blowing me away! wow! thanks guys for all this information , 58 views n no replies , such a wealth of knowledge been shared!! Hi oldkid67 The site has been off air for the last few days i would give it time for all the members to return.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

This stuff you find on the walls of pubs is rarely old or even genuine, its just put there to create an atmosphere and there are companies who supply the stuff wholesale to the leisure and hospitality trade. These companies supply everything from vintage chairs and tables to rows of old books, whisky jugs, nautical related items and so on. Its basically like dressing a stage set and these items are merely props. I imagine that the gold plates you've seen Oldkid67 are laquered brass ones which are stamped out on a production line, probably very thin and unlaquered or finished on the back.As for old rifles, any genuine old firearms / muskets are highly collectable and worth quite a bit of money. Did you inspect any of the weapons on display closely because I once has a look at what I thought was an antique rifle on a pub wall and I was amazed to see that the 'gun' was split down the middle so it was effectively a 'flatback' designed to lie flush up to the wall. I think it was a decorative piece made this way rather than a genuine vintage firearm that someone has hacksawed perfectly down the middle..With regards to not having got a reply immediately, as has been mentioned the site has been down for a couple of days so dont blow a gasket charlie!
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Croggy1
Site Admin

Post by Croggy1 »

Hello Oldkid, welcome to the site.I like the Three Horseshoes, but have not been there for a while, couldn't say if the items are genuine or not, but it does look good.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Its all repro stuff at the 3 horseshoes
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Croggy1 wrote: Hello Oldkid, welcome to the site.I like the Three Horseshoes, but have not been there for a while, couldn't say if the items are genuine or not, but it does look good. The food is spot on and not badly priced. Can't comment on the decor though...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell