Eels and other 'River Monsters' of Leeds

The green spaces and places of Leeds
jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

The thing that I found strange was that this sign warning about these drownings existed at all. I mean you dont go to Brid or Scarborough and see signs warning beach-goers of all the previous drownings there have been in the sea. I understand that the childrens parents would want to have a warning to prevent other potential drownings and maybe as a memorial but if the sands had been there for over 30 years and there had been 500 people there per day in summer then 2 drownings, while tragic and heartbreaking for the parents hardly seems cause to write a place off. I dont know, maybe there is more to it than this, if the sands were artificial and were located near a whirlpool and deep sections of the river maybe it wasnt such a sensible place to be attracting families to. There is still a caravan site close by where families go on holiday. My stepmothers parents had a caravan there for years which is how I know of the tragedy. However people do still swim at Kearby Sands and at many places along the river Wharfe every summer - Boston Spa, Ilkley, Bolton Abbey, Appletreewick, Burnsall etc. I've swam at them all. Indeed my old school once took us all for a day trip which involved swimming in the river at Bolton Abbey.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

The metal sign was erected by the kids grandfather. I have a pic of it somewhere, how difficult is it to upload pics to here?
Come on Leeds United!

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Sparky415, you need to use the picture upload options below the message box to add images unless you know some HTML code.I doubt the sign is there now as the last time I was there in the early 90s the whole place was very dilapedated and the sign was in a poor state. Also what used to really fascinate me was there were a couple of green painted static caravans close to the side of the river surrounded by thick undergrowth. They were much older caravans - well from the 1950s and although they looked disused and poorly maintained they certainly werent derelict or vandalised. I couldnt work out if anyone used them or lived in them or what. I think by now they will have been removed.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

whitecoatboy

Post by whitecoatboy »

my pics always fail but theres plenty of people who can help you. probably best to go through flickr
if it feels good ......... dig it!

whitecoatboy

Post by whitecoatboy »

were the sands on the north or south side of the river? or even both? upto 500 people would have been a very busy place
if it feels good ......... dig it!

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Whitecoatboy as far as I remember the sands must have been on the north / Harrogate side of the river Wharfe. Sparky I found a photo of the Clap Gate Inn from a postcard that had been for sale on Ebay. Apparently its now a private residence.
Attachments
cgate1.JPG
cgate1.JPG (0 Bytes) Viewed 3116 times

vbporscha

Post by vbporscha »

I wonder if Michael Willngale of Wortley lived at Life Guard Square - http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 2_78010196

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

whitecoatboy wrote: were the sands on the north or south side of the river? or even both? upto 500 people would have been a very busy place They were on the North side. In the late 50s early 60s me and my friends used to regularly go there. We would catch the Leeds Harrogate bus on Harrogate Road, close to Potternewton Lane, and get off just after the bottom of Harewood Bank. Then it was about a 2 mile walk to Kirby Sands along the riverside. I remember it being quite crowded.