Dewhirst

Unusual markings, logos and symbols around the city
bloodynora

Post by bloodynora »

Back of the old building - on Harper Street: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bloodynora ... 001373215/

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Tom Spencer's place of work if I remember correctly? That being the chap who went on to open a small chain of high street shops with another fellow called Michael Marks...
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Michael Marks opened his penny bazaar in Kirkgate in 1884.He later moved into the covered market in 1894. He entered into partnership with Thomas Spencer who came from Skipton who put £300 pounds into the scheme.Marks added a further £450 pounds by 1924 Marks and Spencer had its headquarters in London.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

I. J. Dewhirst are clothing manufacturers and are still trading from their Head Office in Driffield.As far as I am aware they still supply M&S (among others).

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

jdbythesea wrote: I. J. Dewhirst are clothing manufacturers and are still trading from their Head Office in Driffield.As far as I am aware they still supply M&S (among others). Not sure they still do.Back in the late 70's early 80's most M&S Clothing was proudly made in England and often around leeds. Seem to recall factory shops eg Jaeger Bradford and Dewhirst up York Rd before the Shaftsbury Cinema.This gradually went abroad.Many of the brands, retailers and manufacturers actually made more profit by charging similar prices but having less overheads, no Industrial Tribunals, paye, etc etc.And now no one mends a sock.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Was in Mauritius some years ago where M & S had a factory and outlet together with a lot of other British High Street stores.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

Iirc Marks approached Dewhirst and asked him if he was interested in forming a partnership, Dewhirst declined so he approached Spencer who agreed. Hence M&S and not M&D

grumpybloke

Post by grumpybloke »

According to my wife's family, Marks approached her great grandad to see if he would go into business with him. Talk about missed opportunities!

grumpybloke

Post by grumpybloke »

jdbythesea wrote: I. J. Dewhirst are clothing manufacturers and are still trading from their Head Office in Driffield.As far as I am aware they still supply M&S (among others). I don't think they actually physically make anything though. Like many others, they are suppliers rather than manufacturers.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

grumpybloke wrote: jdbythesea wrote: I. J. Dewhirst are clothing manufacturers and are still trading from their Head Office in Driffield.As far as I am aware they still supply M&S (among others). I don't think they actually physically make anything though. Like many others, they are suppliers rather than manufacturers. You might well be right grumpybloke. The building occupied in Driffield is not very large. Although there is a sewing room on the ground floor that can be seen from the street.The website is rather confusing and makes no mention of Driffield at all: unlikely, therefore, to be the head office of a multinational.                                     http://www.dewhirst.comIf you go to it and look at their HISTORY (bottom of page) there is a definite link to M&S but beyond that?? I go over to Driffield about once a fortnight. Next time I'll call in and have a word with the receptionist.