The Brownlee Brothers get their own pub!!

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

The Grey Horse on Long Row Horsforth is being revamped and relaunched as the 'Brownlee Arms'
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Caron

Post by Caron »

Hi Drapesy. Have been in there a few times in the past and a decent Fish n Chip shop just opposite made the evening complete. I have been looking on your flickr and can you tell me please where exactly is the Statue of Liberty you show? Also, I was looking through my family history and saw a relative of mine worked in the Potter's Arms public house on Jack Lane, Hunslet. After hours of trawling the net I managed to find a pic of the old place but couldn't see where it once stood on an old map of the area. Have you any idea where the pub once stood? Thank you.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Caron wrote: Hi Drapesy. Have been in there a few times in the past and a decent Fish n Chip shop just opposite made the evening complete. I have been looking on your flickr and can you tell me please where exactly is the Statue of Liberty you show? Also, I was looking through my family history and saw a relative of mine worked in the Potter's Arms public house on Jack Lane, Hunslet. After hours of trawling the net I managed to find a pic of the old place but couldn't see where it once stood on an old map of the area. Have you any idea where the pub once stood? Thank you. HiThe statue has gone now - it was at the Ancestor pub at the bottom of Cockshott Lane.I cant really add to what you probably already know from the Hunslet remembered website. There was a 'Potter's Arms' pub but this was on Ebony Street (No. 35 to be exact). There is also a photo of a 'Pottery Inn' which is stated to be on Jack Lane. It may be that they are the same place, and that the location as Jack Lane is incorrect - or they may be 2 different pubs. Personally, my gut feeling is that they are 2 different places. Perhaps some of the experts we have on here with old maps could help - certainly the location of the 'Potters Arms' on Ebony street will be straightforward enough.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

They are two different pubs as they are both in the 1872 directoryPottery Inn 97 Jack Lane a BeerhousePotters Arms 29 Ebony Street a Public House

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

uncle mick wrote: They are two different pubs as they are both in the 1872 directoryPottery Inn 97 Jack Lane a BeerhousePotters Arms 29 Ebony Street a Public House Cheers for that - I thought that was more likely,The Hunslet.org site gives the number as 35 - possibly a renumbering at some stage - which seemingly used to happen a lot but rarely if ever these days.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

I think this pic from Leodis is The Pottery Inn when you compare it with the info from the 1872 directory ?????????http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL
Attachments
jack lane.png
jack lane.png (39.95 KiB) Viewed 4105 times

liits

Post by liits »

[Edited - showing two other licensed premises not originally shown]A = Potters Arms, Ebony Street.B = Pottery Inn, Jack Lane.C = Jack Lane Inn, Jack Lane.D = Parkfield House Hotel, Dewsbury Road.E = Cricketer's Arms, Dewsbury Road.Leodis has this picture of the Potters Arms after it had been turned into two houses. The pottery, I've yet to find a picture of.[Edited] The picture that Uncle Mick has posted a link for is of the Jack Lane Inn.    

Caron

Post by Caron »

Thank you all for your helpful replies and sorry to you Drapesy for asking my question on your post. I was wrong, it was the Pottery Inn a relative of mine worked at. The picture of Pottery Inn I have was found on Bing under Pottery Inn, Hunslet. I think it's a very old picture as the windows are plain square with no fancy arched brickwork above. There is also a huge gas lamp just above the entrance to the pub and two signs for John Smith's Lancaster or Tadcaster (?) Pine Ales either side of the entrance. Thank you very much again and thank you for the map Liits.    

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Caron wrote: Thank you all for your helpful replies and sorry to you Drapesy for asking my question on your post. I was wrong, it was the Pottery Inn a relative of mine worked at. The picture of Pottery Inn I have was found on Bing under Pottery Inn, Hunslet. I think it's a very old picture as the windows are plain square with no fancy arched brickwork above. There is also a huge gas lamp just above the entrance to the pub and two signs for John Smith's Lancaster or Tadcaster (?) Pine Ales either side of the entrance. Thank you very much again and thank you for the map Liits.    
Attachments
Pottery Inn.jpg
Pottery Inn.jpg (88.76 KiB) Viewed 4105 times

liits

Post by liits »

Here's the pic caron mentioned. [edit, Uncle Mick beat me to it]The comment that goes with it says..."Fran Morley - This photo shows the Pottery Inn, a John Smith's pub, on Jack Lane. The propietor was W. Stables. This was the maiden name of my mother-in-law's mother. My mother-in-law and her mother are on the doorstep. The photo was probably taken in or before 1923".The Licensing Register doesn't show a W. Stables as the licensee of the premises [or even the freeholder] and a closer look at the nameboard over the door shows it to be W. ???KI?S. This would tie in with William Perkins who was licensee from 2nd May 1902 until the license transferred to his wife, Sherah, on the 19th December the same year. William Perkins having died. Sherah kept the pub until 1905.A good find there Caron