Features - Tunnels Under City Station

The Darker Arches
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

And this rather nice 1960's concrete bridge carries the trackwork across the canal onto the span of the Dark arches.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi Phill.You say in a post "You would be surprised at the spyware cookies tracking your every move on the internet, your ISP is automatically traced whatever you do, any websites you visit already know which area you live, your internet provider e.t.c. Using the internet isn't as anonymous as people first think". That's so true. There is an astronomy website I like ('Astronomy Picture of the Day') that usually with the photo has a link to the the website of the person that took the photo. Many of those sites show the location of who is viewing the site and it's slightly disturbing to immediately see on a website that someone in 'Leeds, UK' is now viewing (it sometimes says I'm in Bradford, which may be even worse! ). PS. I like your photos. The Dark Arches is a fascinating place.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leodian wrote: Hi Phill.You say in a post "You would be surprised at the spyware cookies tracking your every move on the internet, your ISP is automatically traced whatever you do, any websites you visit already know which area you live, your internet provider e.t.c. Using the internet isn't as anonymous as people first think". That's so true. There is an astronomy website I like ('Astronomy Picture of the Day') that usually with the photo has a link to the the website of the person that took the photo. Many of those sites show the location of who is viewing the site and it's slightly disturbing to immediately see on a website that someone in 'Leeds, UK' is now viewing (it sometimes says I'm in Bradford, which may be even worse! ). PS. I like your photos. The Dark Arches is a fascinating place. George Orwell was right, Big Brother is indeed watching us.I wouldn't let it spoil your use of the internet though Leodian     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

tilly

Post by tilly »

Regarding spywear cookies i have a program on my computer called Advanced system care 5 i have the free version.Every time i finish i scan with this it gets rid of any cookies you have picked up when on the net.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

PC - Dublin

Post by PC - Dublin »

Fabulous photos you have posted Phill.PC    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

PC - Dublin wrote: Fabulous photos you have posted Phill.PC     They always are

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

This was the entrance to Arch 99, tho whether trams used I dont know, it quite a steep ramp
Attachments
__TFMF_czjxn0maqtbi14mlkk02yoap_cb1f4215-6342-45ec-9578-c198cc6cd360_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_czjxn0maqtbi14mlkk02yoap_cb1f4215-6342-45ec-9578-c198cc6cd360_0_main.jpg (95.76 KiB) Viewed 4065 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I think the turning circle at the bottom is too tight and the ramp is relatively modern. This arch used to be a goit:http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... ighLight=1

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Here's a few Dark arch shots from my collection.A true hidden place where trams used to go was arch 99 under Leeds City station. A single track ran out of the back of Swinegate depot into a narrow yard and under the arches. Here withdrawn and older cars used only at peak times were kept.Within the arches the track split into three. It was a desperate place with rats and mice flourishing. Today arch 99 is used as a private car park.        Victorian and 1960's construction merge together. A staggering 18 million bricks and stones hold up these vaulted arches for the station. Construction began in 1866 and the station was completed in 1869.     Not sure if a lot of people will realise what skill it took in the last capture on that post Phil,that is excellent mate.    
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

cnosni wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: Here's a few Dark arch shots from my collection. A staggering 18 million bricks and stones hold up these vaulted arches for the station. Construction began in 1866 and the station was completed in 1869.     Not sure if a lot of people will realise what skill it took in the last capture on that post Phil,that is excellent mate. Looks to me like a lot of running around with a light source ( hope you didn't get your feet wet Phill)