Competition - Gaslamps

Leeds by gaslight. Let's make a record of them all, before they go.
sheret

Post by sheret »

This is from the Leeds Civic Trust website:Gas is still used to light a few odd corners in Leeds. Not quite so many as before the 1960s, when the city’s 24,000 street gas lamps were replaced by cleaner and more efficient electric lighting. Electricity has been publicly available in Leeds since 1893 when the Yorkshire House-to-House Company built the first generating station at Whitehall Road.Over a hundred years later, street lighting technology has advanced somewhat, but Leeds City Council still keeps about 25 gas lamps lit in various places. Sadly, although it is the Council’s policy to maintain those that are left, vandalism, theft and ignorance continues to take its toll. Many lamps have had new lanterns and new brackets. Some are lit by electronic ignition, though many still have mechanical clocks.How can those that remain be protected? If lost should they always be replaced by replicas? Should those that do not work be put into working order? Gas lamps are perhaps an anachronism in the 21st century, but they are part of our heritage, and should not be left to the thief, the vandal and the ignorant developer.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Not all were replaced before the sixties. It was round about 69-70 before those in my neck of the woods (Hill st Beeston) were replaced.

RFarrell

Post by RFarrell »

There are some (2 or 3) gas lamps in Park Square - the silver ones outside St Pauls House of the Pineapples. They are now electric (and eco-friendlyly on all the time!) and shabby looking - the Council was too busy putting up the replica ones in the park itself at any random angle other than vertical to bother with a coat of paint for the old ones when the refurbishment was done!As for Lamberts Yard - it is still access for some premises and is occasionally open - always worth checking it out if you are nearby.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

we moved out of no 1 bowness place in holbeck in 1970,and the gas lamp outside our house was still in use.it used to light up my bedroom of an evening.we went back up to have a look,just before demolition,and though the houses were all boarded,the old lamp was still on duty! ...happy days indeed!also there was one outside my grans on foundry ave until the very late 60s.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Scotteh2k8

Post by Scotteh2k8 »

there is practically a village full of the at the Village Green in seacroft near Tesco Extra, all in working order too, though i think recently they were taken away and changed to energy efficient lamp posts
For every action, there is a reaction

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Scotteh2k8 wrote: there is practically a village full of the at the Village Green in seacroft near Tesco Extra, all in working order too, though i think recently they were taken away and changed to energy efficient lamp posts sounds about right for seacroft you've only just got electricity up there haven't you lol
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Brandy wrote: Scotteh2k8 wrote: there is practically a village full of the at the Village Green in seacroft near Tesco Extra, all in working order too, though i think recently they were taken away and changed to energy efficient lamp posts sounds about right for seacroft you've only just got electricity up there haven't you lol Probably left it in the dark for so long hoping people would't notice the terrible state the Listed, old Grange next door has been allowed to decsend into Brandy

Croggy

Post by Croggy »

rangieowner wrote: Is there not a gas lamp pole near the entrance to Manston Park on Austhorp Road in Xgates??? Is there? I'll have a look - I always thought that that was something else ...I thought there was one (not working) on one of the streets near Manston church, but might be mistaken, I'll maybe take a walk this weekend.

Crazy Jane

Post by Crazy Jane »

Quote: There are still some working gas lights inside the Hyde Park Picture House. you beat me to that one.isn't there also a gas lamp on the corner outside the cinema? i think it might just be the pole though, without the original head?
Evil and ambition scatter in the the darkness, leaving behind dubious rumors to fly in public. To the next world, I commit thee.

stevief

Post by stevief »

More of a garden ornament than a functioning gas lamp but I'm sure I've seen this one lit up.
Attachments
__TFMF_mpwv2y2beurpac2uqgst5x45_713f1c3f-47d8-4370-865f-e322530a56fa_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_mpwv2y2beurpac2uqgst5x45_713f1c3f-47d8-4370-865f-e322530a56fa_0_main.jpg (75.38 KiB) Viewed 3390 times