What & Where? 30

How well do you know Leeds?
munki

Post by munki »

Attachments
__TFMF_ke5vt2452jf0hpf04zj15eqz_12e2d8c4-ba5b-495b-a266-e57c97278fda_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ke5vt2452jf0hpf04zj15eqz_12e2d8c4-ba5b-495b-a266-e57c97278fda_0_main.jpg (508.15 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

The obvious would be St Anne's cathederal, cookridge street.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

munki

Post by munki »

Blimey tyke bhoy, I hope for your sake that Father MacReady at St Anne's doesn't read that, after all the money they have just spent on the restoration! It's a bit more of a mess than St Anne's... Or at least, it was when I took the picture...
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

St Mark's, Woodhouse...or Mount St Mary's at Richmond Hill

munki

Post by munki »

No & no. Architecturally a much more distinguished building than St Mark's, although you wouldn't exactly guess it from the exterior...

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

munki wrote: Blimey tyke bhoy, I hope for your sake that Father MacReady at St Anne's doesn't read that, after all the money they have just spent on the restoration! It's a bit more of a mess than St Anne's... Or at least, it was when I took the picture... I don't think I have ever been inside St Anne's though I pass it regularly. The stone colour was correct, the width about right and the architecture probably about right all from external observation. Also you suggest the photo isn't absolutely current by your last statement so what was to stop it being old enough to be during the restoration (of St Anne's that is not post Cromwell )
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

munki

Post by munki »

Sorry, wasn't having a go! Good points. Yes. The picture is not 'current'. I think I took it in about 2004 or 5.The vertical windows over the entrance are different from anything at St Anne's (I think...) & should be / would be the feature that is recognisable from outside the building.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

mount st marys?
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

munki

Post by munki »

Morning, Phil! Glad you're here, but you need to wake up... I know you will know this building.Also, please feel free to Stick Your Oar In on the 'Musings' thread. I would be glad to hear your opinions. & I know you'd be glad to give them! ;-)

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Mate i was going to stick my oar in but i thought better of it.. I shall reflect on my musings & post later.. mmm. this church????
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/