What and where no. 29

How well do you know Leeds?
drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Now I think this might be a stinker. The sign carries the strange message 'Ancient Lights'.
Attachments
__TFMF_aph2ylrclbdmptf4y3md2knr_024bc2cc-25d7-4910-bc62-659766e1c0fc_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_aph2ylrclbdmptf4y3md2knr_024bc2cc-25d7-4910-bc62-659766e1c0fc_0_main.jpg (150.22 KiB) Viewed 1841 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Is this on Kirkstall road perhaps?
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Phill_d wrote: Is this on Kirkstall road perhaps? No Phill, it isn't.( Merry Xmas by the by!!)    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

rikj

Post by rikj »

I'd say this is on a low road. With your interest in pubs I didn't have you down as a religious man drapesy, but maybe I'm wrong!Hunslet Baptist Tabernacle?

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Wow - spot on Rikj!The ironic thing is that 'Ancient lights' meant that windows couldn't be blocked - but this window is almost impossible to get to and boarded up on the inside.

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

drapesy wrote: Wow - spot on Rikj!The ironic thing is that 'Ancient lights' meant that windows couldn't be blocked - but this window is almost impossible to get to and boarded up on the inside. Perhaps that's the point. Could they be preserving their ancient right to light in case they ever choose to use the windows again?
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

Bramley4woods wrote: drapesy wrote: Wow - spot on Rikj!The ironic thing is that 'Ancient lights' meant that windows couldn't be blocked - but this window is almost impossible to get to and boarded up on the inside. Perhaps that's the point. Could they be preserving their ancient right to light in case they ever choose to use the windows again? Did not the term " Ancient Lights " also have a connection with a one-time tax on windows ? Glass windows which had been in situ for a specified length of time ( ie " ancient " ) were not subject to the then-new tax . I might easily be wrong ; this is a very old and vague memory !
roundhegian

electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »

This is what you are referring to,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_taxIf you see buildings of a certain age with windows bricked up, its becase of this, usually the bricked up windows were the smaller and less significant ones