Where is this? Help required.

How well do you know Leeds?
MiggyBill

Where is this? Help required.

Post by MiggyBill »

Hello everyone, the YEP recently had a " 28 never seen before photos of Holbeck" article see:
https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... ars-813556
There are three pics that the author is unsure of the location. I have located two of them but the third has got me stumped.
Please find attached the mystery photo, may I add that the photo is claimed to be somewhere in Holbeck however at least one of the photos in this article is in Hunslet. Hoping you can help, Billy.
Attachments
QVNIMTExNDIzODY2.jpg
QVNIMTExNDIzODY2.jpg (75.96 KiB) Viewed 8689 times

tyke bhoy

Re: Where is this? Help required.

Post by tyke bhoy »

Some thoughts/observations that may spark some debate.

The near houses look to be of an age inconsistent with Holbeck where newer housing was/is 70s/80s and the rest early 20th century or before. However they are also inconsistent with all the other houses visible. Could they be replacement for bomb damaged houses?

It is hard to tell but is the far end a row of houses running perpendicular to the view, a viaduct or both.

Protruding above whatever is at the back is a mound/dome top. My first thought was the circular building in the shadow of Holbeck? junction on the railway and on the A58 Inner Ring Road before it goes under the railway on approach to gyratory. However I don't think the proportions fit with what is in the photo.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Gas holder?
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Not a viaduct.
If you save the picture then enlarge it you can make out a joined roof line, windows, washing on a line behind a white looking gate and a stench pipe going up to the roof so would suggest a terrace block.

Could the "hump" be a tower block seen at an angle perhaps?

The houses seen nearest are identical in style to the property my late parents lived in and they were circa 1920's

I would also suggest a note of caution re the YEP's sense of geography as in the not too distant past we discovered one of their "where in Leeds is this?" pictures turned out to be a garage forecourt in Hull!!

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

It is also difficult to differentiate as to what is 'Holbeck' as it joins on to Beeston, Hunslet, Wortley, Cottingley, Armley, and the City centre and there is a lot of overlapping. There are other local names such as 'Pottery Fields', which some might say is Hunslet, and 'Beeston Hill' which some might say is just Beeston. Other places such as Churwell, Morley and New Farnley are not far away.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Pottery Fields is Hunslet i lived of Pearson Street this was no more than five hundred yards from Pottery fields Also Hunslet goods yard you could say was joined onto Pottery fields.Has for the photograph i dont remember any like that in Hunslet im going back to the fiftys i could be wrong.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

jma

Post by jma »

My detailed experience of Holbeck comes from my time at Dewsbury Road Police station between 1967 and 1972, especially from driving around in a panda car till I was in danger of disappearing up my own exhaust. I think that the electric street lighting and cobbled street patched with tarmac dates it to the 1960s. I don't remember any narrow streets like this in Holbeck, however it's defined.

I think narrow residential streets like this are rare in Leeds and I only remember seeing them where they were the back streets of through terraces. We used to live in Salisbury Avenue, Armley and the back of our house opened onto Back Salisbury View, which was narrow like the street in the image. Back-to-back terraces had no back street.

The houses here don't form a terrace along the whole street. They remind me of the Models in Armley, but I don't have a clue about the big structure beyond.

It's been suggested that the YEP info may be incorrect. I would point out that the image of South Lodge has been online for some years: I have linked to it several times elsewhere when explaining to others that the workhouses persisted in all but name long after the repeal of the Poor Laws. South Lodge was only demolished to make room for the M621

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

tilly wrote:
Fri 08 Nov, 2019 3:09 pm
Pottery Fields is Hunslet i lived of Pearson Street this was no more than five hundred yards from Pottery fields Also Hunslet goods yard you could say was joined onto Pottery fields.Has for the photograph i dont remember any like that in Hunslet im going back to the fiftys i could be wrong.
Cant quite rmember just where Pottery field was although i do recall as a young lad at Hunslet Feast we used keep well out of the "Pottery Fielders" who were a gang of Teddy boyswith there Drape jackets down to the knees,drainpipe trousers and thick crepe soled shoes (brothel creepers) there wesMuff Potter, Blondie Young and Eddie Trimble In his pwder blue teddy boy outfit.
They were allways team handed so you could never have a one to one.
Years later i was having a dring with my brotherr in Tommy Wass, Beeston and i saw this tihis little fellow. looking twice his age and i realised it was Eddy Trimble, i was going to front him up and say how you and your gang used to put whe wind up us but i let it go.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

quote=volvojack post_id=122361 time=1573470330 user_id=17941]
tilly wrote:
Fri 08 Nov, 2019 3:09 pm

I lived of Pearson Street this was no more than five hundred yards from Pottery fields. Also Hunslet goods yard you could say was joined onto Pottery fields. As for the photograph, I dont remember any like that in Hunslet I'm going back to the fifties, I could be wrong.

Cant quite remember just where Pottery field was although i do recall as a young lad at Hunslet Feast we used to keep well away from the "Pottery Fielders" who were a gang of Teddy boys with their velvet jackets down to the knees,drainpipe trousers and thick crepe soled shoes (brothel creepers) their was Muff Potter, Blondie Young and Eddie Trimble In his powder blue teddy boy outfit.
They were allways team handed so you could never have a one to one.
Years later i was having a drink with my brother in Tommy Wass, Beeston and i saw this this little fellow. looking twice his age and i realised it was Eddy Trimble, i was going to front him up and say how you and your gang used to put the wind up us but i let it go.
Last edited by volvojack on Mon 11 Nov, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Jack Pottery Fields was between Jack Lane and the Crown Point shopping center, the shopping center being the old Hunslet Goods yard. Pottery Fields was quite a small area with a pub called The Pine Apple Inn there are two big gas holders stood there now. When i was a lad the other side of the road from were they built the gas holders was Harry Carrs scrap yard his yard was always full of old cars.If you were on Jack Lane and turned to go down Leathley Road it was the first turn left between the Council Yard and Harry Carrs.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.