Where is this? Help required.

How well do you know Leeds?
TABBYCAT

Re: Where is this? Help required.

Post by TABBYCAT »

tilly wrote:
Mon 11 Nov, 2019 1:20 pm
Hi Jack Pottery Fields was between Jack Lane and the Crown Point shopping center, the shopping center being the old Hunslet Goods yard. Pottery Fields was quite a small area with a pub called The Pine Apple Inn there are two big gas holders stood there now. When i was a lad the other side of the road from were they built the gas holders was Harry Carrs scrap yard his yard was always full of old cars.If you were on Jack Lane and turned to go down Leathley Road it was the first turn left between the Council Yard and Harry Carrs.
Gas holders no longer there now Sid.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

tilly

Post by tilly »

Thanks for that my mate shows how long it is since i was down there hope Jack does not go looking for gas holders.Thanks for your input buffaloskinner i have many good memories of that area i was dragged up there but would have it no different.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

Ey up, spent quite a few hours poring over old maps and photos and still cannot find any streets anywhere in Leeds that follow the same pattern of buildings as in the pic. The nearest I can find is in East End Park, the back streets running off Ivy Grove, Back Dawlish Avenue, Back Dawlish Road, Back Victoria etc.. all look very similar to the pic but don't quite tick every box. What do you think?

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Near but not quite.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.79722 ... 384!8i8192

A continuous terrace row and not the two separate blocks shown in picture, the gable end in the farthest block is flatter in the original picture than the google street view and distant object is too far above the roof line, although the shape does suggest a tower block in the original photo, and chimney stacks on various properties are wrong.

I would concede though that the area is more credible than either Hunslet or Holbeck at the moment Bill, good research on your part sir. :D .

jim

Post by jim »

Back Dawlish Avenue viewed from Ivy Grove looks a good contender to me, if the picture was taken somewhat further up it. Unfortunately googlemaps won't travel up it but it seems to tick all the boxes especially if the distant "lump" is taken to be the present day tower under construction.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

jim wrote:
Tue 12 Nov, 2019 4:47 pm
Back Dawlish Avenue viewed from Ivy Grove looks a good contender to me, if the picture was taken somewhat further up it. Unfortunately googlemaps won't travel up it but it seems to tick all the boxes especially if the distant "lump" is taken to be the present day tower under construction.
If You click on the link I provided Jim it gives a fairly good view of Back Dawlish avenue.
Unfortunately, if you check the original picture, you can see the closest houses on the right are made up of two separate blocks of differing height whereas Back Dawlish Avenue is one continuous terrace block with roof lines which are ascending , in the original picture they are descending.
Also apart from a dorma conversion vanishing from one of the right hand side houses, if indeed this was the correct street, the houses that appear on the right after the second block on the original picture are different insomuch a chimney stack now appears at the apex of the gable end and as mentioned before the roof angle is much flatter than what is shown on google street.

jim

Post by jim »

I think your doubts could all be answerd by alterations over the years and the inability to get a googlemaps view from further up the street and at a different camera height and/or angle. Some people remove smaller dormers to overcome structural problems or just for the sake of privacy etc. Even the smaller and recessed house that separates two sections of the terrace could have been rebuilt to continue the hoogenity of the terrace and to give greater space to the occupiers. Always possible to agree to differ,,,,,, Hope you are doing OK!

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

jim wrote:
Tue 12 Nov, 2019 8:22 pm
I think your doubts could all be answerd by alterations over the years and the inability to get a googlemaps view from further up the street and at a different camera height and/or angle. Some people remove smaller dormers to overcome structural problems or just for the sake of privacy etc. Even the smaller and recessed house that separates two sections of the terrace could have been rebuilt to continue the hoogenity of the terrace and to give greater space to the occupiers. Always possible to agree to differ,,,,,, Hope you are doing OK!
Disagree with one of my childhood mentors? Never sir! Never!

All's well in my world at the moment many thanks for asking and I wish the same for you.

I think getting to the bottom of this one may be a long blow, as the saying goes. :lol:

Oddly enough I did have feeling for a back street further on but guess what? The flaming camera cannot go up that one either!

tilly

Post by tilly »

Glad your both ok all the best Sid.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.