Leeds Liverpool canal

How well do you know Leeds?
The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Just a query,If one sets off on the canal in Leeds can it be walked alongside it all the way to the lancashire border and are there mileposts along it??

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

I'm sure it is signposted all the way.
Come on Leeds United!

tilly

Post by tilly »

The Parksider wrote: Just a query,If one sets off on the canal in Leeds can it be walked alongside it all the way to the lancashire border and are there mileposts along it?? It can be quit muddy in places so you will need good footwear it can be walked all the way to Liverpool. I once did a sponsored bike ride starting at Liverpool it was very hard going in places this was in summer it was trying to snow when we got to Wigan.We did not manage to complete the whole distance got about half way on the first day we were done in it was not has easy as we thought it was going to be rain mud potholes i put a dent in my front wheel hitting one this was the last straw we got on a train to Leeds, home about ten o'clock i have never felt has tired slept for about twelve hours. I was over fifty years old at the time young ones might think this is a walk in the park.LOL    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

PC - Dublin

Post by PC - Dublin »

tilly wrote: I was over fifty years old at the time young ones might think this is a walk in the park.LOL     No stamina tilly !!!PC    

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Parksider this is a pretty good guide to the canalhttp://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/ll/ll3.htm
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I walked a bit up past skipton. Got to say it wasn't very inspiring. Landscape slightly dull, flat, interesting bits in the distance. path flat and muddy. Constant Traffic noise.

tilly

Post by tilly »

PC - Dublin wrote: tilly wrote: I was over fifty years old at the time young ones might think this is a walk in the park.LOL     No stamina tilly !!!PC     You are right PC i think thats something i have been short of all my life.LOL
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Guys and GalsThanks for the very kind replies.My lad and friends want to do a sponsored event to raise charity funds walk seems best as opposed to bike, swim, run but it's not easy to find a walk where there's some sort of beginning and end.The big walks like three peaks are maybe too much for them, just trying to find something, and thought walking the canal as far as they can in a day may just be acceptable??So maybe that's the way to go but suggestions gratefully accepted!!Parky....

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

The Parksider wrote: Guys and GalsThanks for the very kind replies.My lad and friends want to do a sponsored event to raise charity funds walk seems best as opposed to bike, swim, run but it's not easy to find a walk where there's some sort of beginning and end.The big walks like three peaks are maybe too much for them, just trying to find something, and thought walking the canal as far as they can in a day may just be acceptable??So maybe that's the way to go but suggestions gratefully accepted!!Parky.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-17449863