Waiting for the flood?

How well do you know Leeds?
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Well I'd never have guessed Lowfields Road. In all my time I think I've only ever walked the top half of that road twice, countless times at the bottom end of course. Those boats in an unusual position reminded me of a full size coach parked in someones garden, either on Harehills Avenue, or one of the streets around it. The front wall had been rebuilt, so it was effectively trapped in the garden. The trees were growing around it. It would have made a great photo. I used to see it regular while going about in the post office van a good few years ago now. I looked for it a few times when I took up photography, but it must have gone by then, I never found it again.Good guess where that one Barfly     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

Thanks Phil. I've worked in the vague area of Lowfields Road a few times so I've seen them over the years. I rediscovered them fairly recently whilst trying to work out where Wortley Beck goes before it becomes Hol Beck. I'm convinced it runs or, at least, ran under Lowfields Road and Brown Lane (West) though I'm probably wrong.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Funny you mention the Hol beck. The piano place on Holbeck Lane messaged me the other day. They are redecorating and want to put some local photos up in frames on the wall. I said they could use mine, and that I had a photo of their piano shop building I put on flickr for them herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/108710 ... otostreamI took it ages ago and never did anything with it, or looked for any info on it at the time. I did post some old maps below the photo in the comments section. They shows the Mill Green Goit ran through the back yard, under the old mill, then joined the Hol beck right outside the building. It would be pretty easy working out the course of them both I think on those new map links posted on here the other day?    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

jim

Post by jim »

You are correct on both counts BarFly. Google "old-maps", enter coordinates 427900, 432000, and select 1938 1-10500 map, which shows the complete course of the beck system in that area, and both Lowfields Road and Brown Lane.

kango

Post by kango »

Lowfields Rd Dammit.I spent all last night scouring Lowfields rd after getting the clues and all and still missed it.Leeds-UNITED EYESLOWLY-lowfields Rdand the HALF KING or centre half king John Charles who lived nearby in the Heaths.BarFly I hate You and you owe me a nights kip!!    

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

kango wrote: and the HALF KING or centre half king John Charles who lived nearby in the Heaths. 'Half king' referred to Viceroy House just up the road from the 'boatyard'. But you're right about John Charles, he was the real deal.Was it Bobby Charlton who said that JC should have been in any world team twice? At centre half and centre forward. Somebody said it anyway.

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

I'm afraid you got all my clues but one, kango, the "half-king's house" I refer to is Viceroy House just down the road.Phil and Jim, I think I've posted before of what looks like a bridge on Brown Lane west so thanks to you both I'll be able to work out where the beck was and, perhaps, still is. Edit: Beat me to it salt 'n pepper    

kango

Post by kango »

Cracking little quiz all the same barFly nice one.