What (and where) part 2

How well do you know Leeds?
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

The 'kind' lady at 0:10 only did that to bump him out of the queue.Is it part of the previous, old, Queens Hotel?

Caron

Post by Caron »

PLEASE hurry and put me out of my misery. I can't seem find anything relating to the old place

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Caron wrote: PLEASE hurry and put me out of my misery. I can't seem find anything relating to the old place Hi Caron. The Parksider as the starter of this thread should probably be the one to answer your plea, but as you clearly need to know this link will bring up the photo and some information in the Leodis website:- http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... LAY=FULLAs I have only given some information indirectly I hope The Parksider does not mind me having done so.I vaguely recall the old building but I don't recall ever using it as it described through the link.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jim

Post by jim »

I fear the Leodis identification of this building being a Booking Office is almost certainly incorrect. The 1910 1/500 map of the area shows the building as a Parcels Office, and the Booking Office for Leeds New as being to the south west across the New Station Street access road and just inside the old station entrance. I recall that Leeds New booking office being used as the excursions booking office in the 1950s, but cannot recall the then use of the subject of this thread. It would be most unlikely that it would have been a Booking Office, as that function was carried out more or less on the site of the current Booking Office - but at a lower level on the then longer floor of the Art Deco concourse. That facility would have been created during the mid 1930s rebuild of Leeds Wellington Station, and used as the regular Booking Office of both "halves" of the combined station.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Leodian wrote: Caron wrote: PLEASE hurry and put me out of my misery. I can't seem find anything relating to the old place Hi Caron. The Parksider as the starter of this thread should probably be the one to answer your plea, but as you clearly need to know this link will bring up the photo and some information in the Leodis website:- http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... LAY=FULLAs I have only given some information indirectly I hope The Parksider does not mind me having done so.I vaguely recall the old building but I don't recall ever using it as it described through the link. Jim is right as far as I'm concerned. There are so many detailed and splendid maps some quite large scale that the building looks to match the OS "parcels office" depiction.But two things......The building is at a heck of an elevation, and the parcels office had a curved element to it which this building does not seem to have.In addition to this old maps seem to show the parcels office being in line with the southern end of the Queens Hotel. It's as if the concourse of the new station could only have been built by knocking down a large part of the Queens hotel.Perplexed of Cookridge...

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Jogon wrote: I've got it!Some piccy of an old building has been cut and pasted in front of a piccy of City House!!

Caron

Post by Caron »

It looks to me like it could have been a warehouse and later used as the booking office. Odd how all around the old place is modern. I was wondering if it was a listed building at one time.Wouldn't it be great to be able to step back in time to see these places as they were and in use ...

jim

Post by jim »

You are correct about the curved element of the building Parksider. It is not seen in the posted picture as it is the elevation to the left of what is depicted, and overlooks Bishopgate Street. The support of the existing bike facility is in the main the base of the old Parcels office, including the curved stairway. The Leodis picture appears to have been taken after the construction of City House, but before the present north concourse had been completed, and before the bus services had been re-routed along New Station Street.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Not to mention that ace old ex army radio shop oppo the Scarboro'
Attachments
__TFMF_pygzgr3f2iw2ds45haadqm55_7d61e7a7-844d-4e5e-a654-230f6d5d3edc_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_pygzgr3f2iw2ds45haadqm55_7d61e7a7-844d-4e5e-a654-230f6d5d3edc_0_main.jpg (177.55 KiB) Viewed 2976 times

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Jogon wrote: Not to mention that ace old ex army radio shop oppo the Scarboro' M&B Radio. I think, though am not sure, they are still going online. They also had a place down Haigh Park Road a few years ago. Brunel may know...