Guess where?

How well do you know Leeds?
Bruno

Post by Bruno »

uncle mick wrote: Jogon wrote: Used to go to old one on Meanwood Rd, never worked out where it was on my Buslingthorpe expeditions. Here http://goo.gl/maps/tN9zv Thanks Uncle Mick, I've often wondered exactly where Meanwood Road baths was. I learned to swim there in the late 60s as a young lad; my dad worked for the YEB and on Wednesday evenings YEB staff had use of the pool. It seemed a very long journey into exotic parts from our house in Halton. I don't remember the exact route my dad used to take in the old Victor 101 - I think this will have been before the inner ring-road was built - but I do vividly remember that we always used to stop for a bag of chips on the way home at the fish & chip shop on Harehills Lane, just uphill from the junction with Compton Road. I think the shop is still there, maybe called The Mermaid?The other thing which sticks in my mind is that we always used to carry our trunks and towels in a rare and valuable plastic carrier bag emblazoned with the slogan "Drinka Pinta Milka Day".
The older I get, the better I was.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi Bruno. I think there used to be a Mansfield's fish & chip shop there or thereabouts. Not sure though if it was open in the late 1960s as it might have been later.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Leodian wrote: Hi Bruno. I think there used to be a Mansfield's fish & chip shop there or thereabouts. Not sure though if it was open in the late 1960s as it might have been later. Mansfield Fisheries 325 Harehills Lane ( 1959 Phone Book)

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

uncle mick wrote: Leodian wrote: Hi Bruno. I think there used to be a Mansfield's fish & chip shop there or thereabouts. Not sure though if it was open in the late 1960s as it might have been later. Mansfield Fisheries 325 Harehills Lane ( 1959 Phone Book) Thanks for that uncle mick. PS. When using the 'Quote' reply it brought up [quotenick="uncle mick"] and I almost put "Thanks for that uncle nick". I would have been if I had done that!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.