What & Where

How well do you know Leeds?
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

jim wrote: I think I saw part of that recently. Hullo Jimyes you did, have been trying to find why that unusual 'bridge' with twin arches was there:-Must've been ? water power outflow, the channel which rejoins MWBeck still exists but the Grove Lane mill pond and Woodland Mills now long gone.>>Off Woodhouse Ridge, where Walker's Road meets Wood Lane.Woodlands Mill dated back to circa 1601 for grinding corn by water power of Meanwood Beck. It's previous occupiers have included Benjamin Pullan, merchant, in the late 1700s.Thomas Wood and his son Jacob, corn and oil millers. In 1865 Benjamin Rowley took over the lease and used the mill for crushing sandstone from the adjacent quarry [see pics in link:http://geoscenic.bgs.ac.uk/asset-bank/a ... earch=true ]The property was bought in 1906 by Edward Crowther, a successful dyer, who had occupied part of the premises since around 1890. Three generations of the Crowther family subsequently ran the business but it began to collapse after the Second World War.Arthur Crowther emigrated to Saskatchewan Canada to farm in the early 1900'sIn 1974 Leeds Corporation bought the then derelict property, demolished the buildings and landscaped the site.The two upright stones (just visible) at the end/right/foot of this path remain, as does the water-power outflow goit.<<    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Leodian wrote: This has been a good 'What & Where' as I would never have guessed the location. I thought it would be the River Aire around the Horsforth Woodside area. In view of the once mill pond there I wonder if the ground is still boggy or at least liable to flooding or poor drainage?     Leo, assuming this is correct...I think the 'pond' and it's earth bank eastern wall is still there.Without the feeder goit from monk bridge road, it has dried out but it seems to have a middle marshy bit with willow/poplar.The pathway ahead/left at the Vale Stables Garden Centre usually has yellow gate open and as you go down, at your right is the earth bank wall of the former mill pondhttp://goo.gl/maps/C4t6band if you were to walk it's centre point you'd come to phillsbridge at the outflow (and it still does flow out).The council cp & demo'd the buildings but I'd guess 1601 = massive stone groundworks will have been left in situ. Down there...    
Attachments
__TFMF_nfq1ay45py3xxi45ipno4unq_c8e9f5e5-e927-44ec-917e-a15392f6bb0b_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_nfq1ay45py3xxi45ipno4unq_c8e9f5e5-e927-44ec-917e-a15392f6bb0b_0_main.jpg (85.36 KiB) Viewed 2873 times

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Is this it here?http://goo.gl/maps/QQfEjThere was still water in this in the 70's, where we got our tadpoles, now nearly totally silted up.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Is this it here?http://goo.gl/maps/QQfEjThere was still water in this in the 70's, where we got our tadpoles, now nearly totally silted up.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Cardie that's it, the still discernable triangle of the pond.Do you know when Grove Ln was cut thru/joined to Mwd Rd?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is all fascinating stuff. Without old photos and maps I would never have thought there would once have been such a large lake/pond there. Interesting comment by Cardiarms that there was still water there in the 1970's, with tadpoles. PS. Tadpoles (and frogs) are another thing that seem to be much less in numbers in recent years where there used to be lots at some sites I see. I did not see any recently in the pond near the top of West Chevin, Wothersome Lake (off the Thorner to Bramham road, near Bramham House) and a small pool in Adel Wood near the Babbling Baby site.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leodian wrote: This is all fascinating stuff. Without old photos and maps I would never have thought there would once have been such a large lake/pond there. It's all my fault starting Jogon off with this area.My hidden 'Phillsbridge' photo as he calls it got him interested. I've had more coded messages from him than Bletchley Park did in W.W.2. It keeps him out of mischief though     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Mischief does sound more fun though!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Mrs J reckons it gets me out the house, lol.Shopping list:Fibre optic camera

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

The two upright stones visible and a rather nice street lamp on the path going left up to Wood LnThanks to jb303 for this image from 1957.New build since 1910 (below)