Guess where stairs!

How well do you know Leeds?
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Well done UM that's it.How on earth did you find that? I'd assumed the whole thing was built 'as one' & 'at once'. Looked to be far more piecemeal.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks for that image uncle mick. With the readily identifiable buildings in the image it is now easy to work out where the road was. Mind you, I still cannot recall the road! I wonder when it ended being used as a road?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

That flickr pic of bus going in says 1967.I've only ever known it roofed and would be 6 or 7 then so still oblivious to most things (as, indeed, I seem to be occassionally now )

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Original image I found on Facebook

Loiner1960

Post by Loiner1960 »

Now here is a better picture from Leodis.http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 3354434The Headingley buses used to go down Coburg Street as a right turn past the garage which was where the underpass was built. Then right into the Merrion Centre. There were bus stops there and I seem to recall a plaque mentioning it was no longer a right of way. The buses then went left onto Woodhouse Lane. It was only one way as returning buses to Headingley just went up Woodhouse Lane.That part of the centre has been extensively built over and lots of roads and buildings demolished.

mark1978

Post by mark1978 »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Only just noticed these on street view whilst looking for the last guess where.It's funny how you can pass things regular in the past and not notice them. Anyone any ideas where these not so obvious stairs are?     In case anyone's interested in what these stairs are for - it's the end of the fire exit for the East wing of the Merrion House council offices. I recently had the pleasure of coming down the ones at the opposite end (ie West wing) during a fire drill!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Loiner well spotted that ties in with the colour bus shot:-Merrion Way / Coburg was no entry inbound bus only ie Wade Ln exit, unsure whether bus+ car allowed in from Clay Pit Ln.click red cross image & view full screen for distant view.Uncle Mick chivvied this outLike this:-Blakey?    
Attachments
__TFMF_z0pv2qrhl2scxj55iowqnfzf_95fb515e-7fe2-4a05-97ae-1e99e0201320_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_z0pv2qrhl2scxj55iowqnfzf_95fb515e-7fe2-4a05-97ae-1e99e0201320_0_main.jpg (64.85 KiB) Viewed 2566 times

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Copied a comment by BLAKEY in http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... 6896Thanks for the latest pictures, maps etc Uncle Mick, Jogon and everyone. Quite well thanks Jogon, apart from the "three score years and ten" warranty being seven years expired !!The massive alterations to the area in question over the last forty plus years are a challenge to anyone's memory, even to folks like me who used the bus road, although I do still positively recall the set up of the road. It is clearly shown in the last two pictures and in the fourth one up. The last two views show that the exit road to Woodhouse Lane (left turn)was exactly where the steep pedestrian covered ramp (now with glass doors half way) exists today up the City side of Morrison's.In the fourth picture from the bottom of the series the precise edge of the road can be seen curving at approx 90 degrees to begin the steep descent. This was the point where the buses frequently got held up at busy times by delivery lorries/vans parked on the curve - they had no option, and as far as I recall there was no further vehicular access into that level of the Centre for deliveries.The other excellent view shows from the position of the bus that Coburg Street/Merrion Way was one way at least from the Centre to Claypit Lane. Just a fringe snippet for those interested - the bus, 982 ENW982D, was one of the last batch of open platform/front engined buses bought by LCT Leeds. There were ten, 974 - 983, and they were new to Headingley Depot entering service on January 1st 1966. They spent virtually all their careers at Headingley until withdrawn prematurely in the frantic haste to get rid of conductors when they were sent briefly to other depots where conductors survived to the end.On 3rd May 1971 the Merrion Centre roadway ceased to be used by buses - all inbound buses now operating direct via Woodhouse LaneHope you don't mind me doing this BLAKEY     

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Here's some late 1960's cine colour film of the Merrion Centre when it was rooflesshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZi6EPdoRNA&fea ... utu.beGood quality film, half cab buses, and shots along the Headrow too.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Thanks Phill. The once elusive bus route is shown 1.30 into the film