what where roughly when?

How well do you know Leeds?
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Tasa wrote: tilly wrote: What building threw the shadow that points to the Back Prince it cant be Mill Hill it looks too far right and too big but it does look like a church or am i wrong?     I reckon it's the Royal Exchange Building, tilly - there's a photo of it on Leodis and the "spires" seem to match the shadows:http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... ifier=2340 AgreedChameleon is the acknowledged expert on the carved figures which adorned that lovely building.However, it took the low cunning of a wiley old tom to find the missing one

tilly

Post by tilly »

Tasa wrote: tilly wrote: What building threw the shadow that points to the Back Prince it cant be Mill Hill it looks too far right and too big but it does look like a church or am i wrong?     I reckon it's the Royal Exchange Building, tilly - there's a photo of it on Leodis and the "spires" seem to match the shadows:http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... ifier=2340 Thanks for that Tasa i just could not work out what it was but then thats normal for me .
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Leodian wrote: That was a good 'What & Where' Jogon. I was wrong as I thought it was the Central Station, despite some buildings giving me some doubt. Ta Leo - I would not have got this from the 1st cropped image I posted. I wonder if that is the square frame left of shot of the underpass with the carvings to the left of current Queens?

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Ta Leo - I would not have got this from the 1st cropped image I posted. I wonder if that is the square frame left of shot of the underpass with the carvings to the left of current Queens? [quoteJogon]Yes I would say as you can see Bishopgate Street on the left    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Jogon wrote: Leodian wrote: That was a good 'What & Where' Jogon. I was wrong as I thought it was the Central Station, despite some buildings giving me some doubt. Ta Leo - I would not have got this from the 1st cropped image I posted. I wonder if that is the square frame left of shot of the underpass with the carvings to the left of current Queens? Hi Jogon. It does seem likely that may be the archway being erected.Apologies for now going off the thread but I wonder why the Queens Hotel is so named as there was a King on the throne at the time it was built so Kings/King's Hotel may have been a more suitable name. As to its name I think it should be Queen's, not Queens.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Leodian wrote: Jogon wrote: Leodian wrote: That was a good 'What & Where' Jogon. I was wrong as I thought it was the Central Station, despite some buildings giving me some doubt. Ta Leo - I would not have got this from the 1st cropped image I posted. I wonder if that is the square frame left of shot of the underpass with the carvings to the left of current Queens? Hi Jogon. It does seem likely that may be the archway being erected.Apologies for now going off the thread but I wonder why the Queens Hotel is so named as there was a King on the throne at the time it was built so Kings/King's Hotel may have been a more suitable name. As to its name I think it should be Queen's, not Queens. Because it replaced the original Queens Hotel which was built in Victorian timesEdit: History of Queens Hotel http://tinyurl.com/a9tzvhl    

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Jogon wrote: Leodian wrote: That was a good 'What & Where' Jogon. I was wrong as I thought it was the Central Station, despite some buildings giving me some doubt. Ta Leo - I would not have got this from the 1st cropped image I posted. I wonder if that is the square frame left of shot of the underpass with the carvings to the left of current Queens? A better pic of the "square frame" from Leodis    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Great image uncle mIt is almost a disappointment to me to learn that such solid 'old' buildings like this (and Lewis's) are not hewn out of solid stone/marble - they feel like it.Yet the construction pics show the current mode of steel frame + concrete then stone cladding. Think that was cutting edge back then?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

uncle mick wrote: Leodian wrote: Jogon wrote: Leodian wrote: That was a good 'What & Where' Jogon. I was wrong as I thought it was the Central Station, despite some buildings giving me some doubt. Ta Leo - I would not have got this from the 1st cropped image I posted. I wonder if that is the square frame left of shot of the underpass with the carvings to the left of current Queens? Hi Jogon. It does seem likely that may be the archway being erected.Apologies for now going off the thread but I wonder why the Queens Hotel is so named as there was a King on the throne at the time it was built so Kings/King's Hotel may have been a more suitable name. As to its name I think it should be Queen's, not Queens. Because it replaced the original Queens Hotel which was built in Victorian timesEdit: History of Queens Hotel http://tinyurl.com/a9tzvhl     Cheers uncle mick for that information and link, which are appreciated. I had tried a search but did not readily find what I wanted to know, though I should have guessed why.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.