Red light Leeds-Guess where.

How well do you know Leeds?
uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

exiled in essex wrote: I've got a good view of this twin structure from my house. It is not a pair of masts, I have no doubts at all that it is in fact a pair of chimneys. They are the tall chimneys at Ferrybridge power station. I looked last night and checked again in daylight this morning and I'm absolutely sure that's what they are. Unless there are two illuminated twin structures, then I might be wrong! Can you see all that way from Essex ???

exiled in essex

Post by exiled in essex »

There must be two illuminated twin structures then, but the one I can see from here is definitely Ferrybridge. I can see Emley Moor and Holme Moss as well.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

exiled in essex wrote: There must be two illuminated twin structures then, Yes they are the Moorside Edge transmitters we've already established.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

exiled in essex

Post by exiled in essex »

I meant there must be two lots of two lit up at night and visible from Leeds, those transmitters and the Ferrybridge chimneys. From here I can see the Ferrybridge chimneys, Emley Moor and Holme Moss but not the other transmitters. On the night time photo it looked just like what I can see but on looking at the daytime one there was no power station visible. I'm sure I've come across as being really dense.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

exiled in essex wrote: I meant there must be two lots of two lit up at night and visible from Leeds, those transmitters and the Ferrybridge chimneys. From here I can see the Ferrybridge chimneys, Emley Moor and Holme Moss but not the other transmitters. On the night time photo it looked just like what I can see but on looking at the daytime one there was no power station visible. I'm sure I've come across as being really dense. I've just measured how far Moorside Edge is from where the photo was taken. It's 20.28 miles as the crow flies. That's some considerable distance. Also the Moorside Edge transmitters are only half the size of Emley Moor. Emley Moor is 15.99 miles away as the crow flies. Given that fact is fairly unlikely you will be able to see Moorside Edge from many parts of Leeds, especially as the photo was taken over a 100' up from one of the highest parts of the City.        
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

It was nice and clear the other day, the lying snow on the Peak and Pennine hills showing up the contours nicely. It seems a bit milder today thankfully Grey and windy though

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

That's another superb photo Phill.I know it's been said before on SL but it can still be a surprise just how far it's possible see on a clear day. When there is snow in the distance it can make for an even better view as, like you say, it can nicely show the shapes of hills.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leodian wrote: That's another superb photo Phill.I know it's been said before on SL but it can still be a surprise just how far it's possible see on a clear day. When there is snow in the distance it can make for an even better view as, like you say, it can nicely show the shapes of hills. Thanks Leo, you should be able to see the full size photo herehttp://tinyurl.com/bsu3fwgThe last few nights have been very clear too, good for star gazing that I know you have an interest in.        

jim

Post by jim »

Another astronomer? We'll have to form a sub-group!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

A comet known as C/2011 L4 PanSTARRS (Panoramic Survey Telescope And Rapid Response System) is now low in about the west shortly after sunset but sadly is much fainter than astronomers had earlier hoped and is said to need a telescope or good binoculars to see it and only then if it is a clear sky with no obscuring moonlight. I think though it will be a sensible thing if I don't go looking for it through binoculars as people may get very suspicious! A neighbour was quite excited when she recently saw a chance shooting star as it was the first she had ever seen. Mind you, though I often look for them I've hardly ever seen any and when one of the several annual meteor showers is due it is usually cloudy!    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.