Just WHAT

How well do you know Leeds?
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Late 60's, early 1970's for me. So many things I can remember, but it was through a young boys eyes.. I always rack my brain trying to visualise better what I saw. Just one last look to clarify that haze.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

I would love to do a pub crawl circa 1900. Whitelocks,Pack Horse etc

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

uncle mick wrote: I would love to do a pub crawl circa 1900. Whitelocks,Pack Horse etc With the very many pubs around then I suspect it would very soon be a real crawl!     
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

I can remember Leeds before it was cleaned up, the buildings I mean, I suppose this would be in the 60's and onwards. The Town Hall was a revelation when cleaned of its mantle of soot. Many people didn't like the buildings being cleaned and thought they should stay black but there was more to it, the acid rain had caused deterioration and many needed repair. As for myself I preferred them cleaned. It has been said before in these threads that many beautiful Victorian buildings were destroyed in the name of progress and they were - a great shame. On balance, whilst I don't come to Leeds very often these days, I prefer the cleaner Leeds - the centre I mean.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

tilly

Post by tilly »

Leodian wrote: uncle mick wrote: I would love to do a pub crawl circa 1900. Whitelocks,Pack Horse etc With the very many pubs around then I suspect it would very soon be a real crawl!      Hi uncle mick If you started at The Red Lion Meadow Lane and had a pint in each pub until you got to the Tommy Wass I think you would have been in a bit of a state.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

tilly wrote: Leodian wrote: uncle mick wrote: I would love to do a pub crawl circa 1900. Whitelocks,Pack Horse etc With the very many pubs around then I suspect it would very soon be a real crawl!      Hi uncle mick If you started at The Red Lion Meadow Lane and had a pint in each pub until you got to the Tommy Wass I think you would have been in a bit of a state. I can remember going on a school trip in the early 50's to the Reservoirs in the Washburn Valley and we had to go through Otley. I couldn't believe the number of pubs we passed ,some nxt door to each other as we went though the town! What a place to live in those days and what a choice was to be had!
ex-Armley lad