What? Where? How many? Origin? Bonus points available.

How well do you know Leeds?
biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

geoffb wrote: S&PIs it the coat of arms on the Mercantile Club on Commercial St.     Don't be giving anything away about the Merc on here geoffb. They'll all want to go in. Well, the blokes will anyway.Sadly not the Merc in the pictures, although I cannot categorically state that you are wrong. If my memory serves, the Merc coat of arms has something to do with a trussed up sheep.    

Guiseley_Guile

Post by Guiseley_Guile »

Somewhere to park your weary Legges in Morley.Having google earth'd this, I have an urge to dart to the mouth of this park soon.

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Guiseley_Guile wrote: Somewhere to park your weary Legges in Morley.Having google earth'd this, I have an urge to dart to the mouth of this park soon. A rare appearance for GG, and a successful one too.There are two elegant - right word, who cares? - gates at Dartmouth Park in Morley. Both sets bear two coats of arms. One is of the Borough of Morley and the other is of the Earl of Dartmouth.William Walter Legge, the 5th Earl gifted the land to the people of Morley and the park was laid out by the Town Council. Dartmouth Park, the first park in the town, was officially opened by the Earl on 24th May 1890.Here are a couple of LEODIS pictures of the gates at the 'bottom' end of the 'top' park, as it has always been known locally. On one of them, squint and you might almost see the subjects of this 'W&W'.http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL