Where ? ( not known)

How well do you know Leeds?
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

THAT'S THEM.Pay good (pocket) money then spill it all down yr front trying to open it.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Another shoppers bus on Commercial Street courtesy of Guy Arab

tilly

Post by tilly »

I see Bettys cafe was there then i bet they wish they had stayed.They would have been in a prime spot and of course Leeds is now the in place to be.I dont think they were doing very well when they closed but now every thing is on the up and up, its a shame i would like to see Bettys back in Leeds
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Never knew we had a bettys. Was that up where the lovely (now closed) Bistro Fiori was?And there was me sat outside eating Dearlove & Addyman's pies.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Jogon wrote: Never knew we had a bettys. Was that up where the lovely (now closed) Bistro Fiori was?And there was me sat outside eating Dearlove & Addyman's pies. Must be. They are both listed at 8 Commercial Street.

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

uncle mick wrote: Jogon wrote: Never knew we had a bettys. Was that up where the lovely (now closed) Bistro Fiori was?And there was me sat outside eating Dearlove & Addyman's pies. Must be. They are both listed at 8 Commercial Street. Nice picture and some information on dates here......http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

When I started work at the old YE News in Trinity Street in 1954, it was my job to get two loaves of bread on a Saturday dinnertime for the editor from Betty's, after first collecting the money from his secretary. I then, after the last edition on Saturday, had to take every copy of that day's various editions, including the "Green Final", together with aforementioned Betty's loaves to the editor's house in Grove Road, Headingley. After delivery I caught a 44 bus to Compton Road, where I lived, arriving home about 7.00 p.m. For this I got 5/- extra, in the form of expenses. "Now you tell the kids of today that..." to quote the "Four Yorkshiremen".    
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Character building. Nice story, was Waterhouse, K around then?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

uncle mick wrote: Jogon wrote: .I also think I can remember milk vending machines where it came out in a weird sort of triangular carton. Or might have dreamt that.      Tetra pack - also used for Jubilee orange drink, discussed at lendth somewhere in an old thread

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Jogon wrote: Character building. Nice story, was Waterhouse, K around then? Thanks Jogon. In replying to your query, no. Mr. K. Waterhouse worked across Commercial Street at YE Post before moving south. The city in those days was full of soon to become famous authors and journalists, Parkinson, Taylor-Bradford, etc. just to name a couple. Newspapers had a bit of excitement surrounding them in those far off days and the nearby pubs Whitelocks, Oastlers and King Charles, were interesting places to partake of a pint and a cheese sandwich on a dinnertime. In those days you could count on seeing a minor or major celebrity walking the streets of Leeds at least once a week. Very happy days.    
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?