Where and What No.2

How well do you know Leeds?
Sthenno

Post by Sthenno »

Thanks for all the nice replies and welcomes!I agree that it would be nice to see developers making use of some of the existing buildings that are being left to decay, rather than building new and, as has been said, rather temporary seeming structures all over the place. I believe Carr Mills on Meanwood Road has been developed into student digs?Unfortunately, it sometimes seems that the people building these structures are catering to the genuine tastes of students... sad as it is I often feel like I'm in the minority about caring where I live. This much is obvious every time I have to struggle through the inch thick litter which covers our courtyard most mornings. I think that, in general, the student population is more fussed about broadband and sky TV and shiny new things than the historical heritage of where they're living... I can imagine many of the people I live with being thoroughly unimpressed to come across the drafty doors and dark interiors which would often come with a developed older building.I guess it's a Catch 22 situation really... as more and more of these places spring up the expectations of students will keep rising, leading the developers to keep introducing flashier and flashier gimmicks - no doubt compromising on quality to add an extra 'plus point' to their websites.

Si

Post by Si »

How do students afford all this? Fancy flats, Sky telly? I assume it's student loans - I'm not surprised they have to spend years paying it back. When I were a student, we had a redifusion radio and went to the pub for a half each.....oh, and we lived in a septic tank!Si

pid

Post by pid »

we used to dream o living in a septic tank si . tha were 15 of us living in a rolled up carpet with a hole in it we used to sleep huddled together for fear of falling out and you try telling that to the occupants of opal one and theyll be highly sceptical !!!!!

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I know they pay £80 a week were i was working!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Sthenno

Post by Sthenno »

Yup Phill, that's about what I pay here too! Sounds mental I know but after searching for somewhere to live and finding that even the skankiest bedsits you can imagine start at £50 a week excluding bills, £80 with everything all in seems a fair deal. Believe me, I'd love to be living somewhere cheaper - as a Masters student I don't get a loan and have to fund everything myself - but it's really difficult unless you're happy to share a house with strangers, which wasn't an idea I was comfortable with when moving to a new city although I'm beginning to consider it now.I think the notion that students can afford to live in these fancy places because of massive loans is largely a myth - most people I know are struggling hugely financially, and would much prefer the option of more downmarket, no-frills accommodation - if only it was out there.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Sthenno wrote: Yup Phill, that's about what I pay here too! Sounds mental I know but after searching for somewhere to live and finding that even the skankiest bedsits you can imagine start at £50 a week excluding bills, £80 with everything all in seems a fair deal. Believe me, I'd love to be living somewhere cheaper - as a Masters student I don't get a loan and have to fund everything myself - but it's really difficult unless you're happy to share a house with strangers, which wasn't an idea I was comfortable with when moving to a new city although I'm beginning to consider it now.I think the notion that students can afford to live in these fancy places because of massive loans is largely a myth - most people I know are struggling hugely financially, and would much prefer the option of more downmarket, no-frills accommodation - if only it was out there. fair deal is the under statement of the year,i live down here,and it costs me (to rent plus bills) £305 a week...there is far too much month left at the end of the money.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?