We buy owt-Guesswhere Leeds!

How well do you know Leeds?
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leeds was very scruffy in the 1980's. But in all honesty I preferred the old army surplus shops, bric a brac and flea markets to what we have today. Anyone recall where this shop once stood?
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

pablo leeds

Post by pablo leeds »

briggate?

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

At a guess, somewhere along Boar Lane, opposite what was C&A? I seem to remember that being a very run down area for a long time before the hotel was built.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

PhillThat looks f'miliar, but you've got me.There was a wonderful Army Surplus on Harper St http://goo.gl/maps/6EMQ5where the stock reply was "can't get 'em". They had a 'depot'/shop up Tong Rd near St Barts.I give up but would like to know.

pablo leeds

Post by pablo leeds »

i'll guess at briggate    

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

raveydavey wrote: At a guess, somewhere along Boar Lane, opposite what was C&A? I seem to remember that being a very run down area for a long time before the hotel was built. That was what I was thinking,was it once/nearthe White Horse restuarant,its the canopy that I remember.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

raveydavey wrote: At a guess, somewhere along Boar Lane, opposite what was C&A? I seem to remember that being a very run down area for a long time before the hotel was built. Well done Ravey It's amazing just how much that area has changed these days. It may be clean and tidy, but in all honesty I couldn't tell you one thing that's there. I'd never go to that part of Leeds for any reason other than pass to be somewhere else. It's very soulless today. Interesting photo for me is this. The photographer has caught an old mate of mine I used to pair off with on the building sites in that era. The fella nearest camera with jacket and black shirt. Ronnie Foster from the Nineveh's down Holbeck.His nickname was Bread cake Bill on the building sites.He was always sneaking off site to get his shopping from Morrisons. I don't know what he did with all those bread cakes lol. A bit of a Del boy type conman, he'd buy cheap clothes from the secondhand shops and sell them on full price to the Irish navvies         
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Jogon wrote: PhillThat looks f'miliar, but you've got me.I give up but would like to know. You've infiltrated flickr these days. I know your 'in the know' so to speak     

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

Phill_dvsn wrote: raveydavey wrote: At a guess, somewhere along Boar Lane, opposite what was C&A? I seem to remember that being a very run down area for a long time before the hotel was built. Well done Ravey It's amazing just how much that area has changed these days. It may be clean and tidy, but in all honesty I couldn't tell you one thing that's there. I'd never go to that part of Leeds for any reason other than pass to be somewhere else. It's very soulless today. Interesting photo for me is this. The photographer has caught an old mate of mine I used to pair off with on the building sites in that era. The fella nearest camera with jacket and black shirt. Ronnie Foster from the Nineveh's down Holbeck.His nickname was Bread cake Bill on the building sites.He was always sneaking off site to get his shopping from Morrisons. I don't know what he did with all those bread cakes lol. A bit of a Del boy type conman, he'd buy cheap clothes from the secondhand shops and sell them on full price to the Irish navvies          It certainly has changed from those days. Not least the number of vehicles to be seen in Phill's photo - where were they all ?    

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

I must admit I prefer it as it is nowadays.http://goo.gl/maps/0p4E3