Help Please - Leeds?? 1896 Where.

How well do you know Leeds?
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

I don't know the answer or if, indeed, this is Leeds.In 1896 the Photographic Convention of the United Kingdom visited Leeds.This image is thought to be taken in Leeds but can you identify where?The building mid right is distinctive but may have been demolished in the 1960's.The gradient could be Park Row, but Boy Scouts may locate by the sun's angle.

simong

Post by simong »

If it is, I would say Albion Street.

Si

Post by Si »

I'm not so sure. There's an angled kerb on the left, suggesting the street is a little too narrow? The angle may be a clue in itself.

James

Post by James »

It looks like the man on the right (carrying a satchel) could be at the junction between Commercial Street and Albion Street.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

The meetings commenced on July 13th 1896 in Leeds. It appears that they were using the Queens Hotel as a base & traveled throughout Yorkshire.They visited Ripon, York, Fountains Abbey, Bolton Abbey amongst other places.Info gleaned from various copies of the Leeds Mercury in July of 1896 Edit : The meetings were at the Philosophical Hall which was at the junction of Park Row & Bond Street

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

My immediate thought was also Commercial Street. If the building on the right has been demolished then it could possibly be that the white building is at the corner of what now remains of Bank Street. It will be interesting to find out where it was taken.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.