The old curiousity shop guess where!

How well do you know Leeds?
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

A lot of these little shops are sadly disappearing these days, the small bric a brac shops, book shops e.t.c. We seemed to have little army & navy surplus shops scattered about the City. It seems the Charity shops are the last great refuge for hoarding collectors, bargain hunters and eccentrics         
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

jim

Post by jim »

Hoarding collectors you say Phill? Great idea, but where am I to keep them if I take it up? EDIT:- My missus wants to know if I intend to hoard collectors or collect hoardings, but in either case - NO! - you can't.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Phill_dvsn wrote: A lot of these little shops are sadly disappearing these days, the small bric a brac shops, book shops e.t.c. We seemed to have little army & navy surplus shops scattered about the City. It seems the Charity shops are the last great refuge for hoarding collectors, bargain hunters and eccentrics          Hi phill the charity shops dont have the bargains they had years ago i think they have people who value a lot of the goods now.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

It’s now sometimes cheaper to buy new than from a charity shop, I don’t know who prices them but some items are ridiculously over-priced dvds, cds etc.British Heart Foundation and Oxfam seem to be the worst offenders.It's not as though they have to buy stock in, its all donated.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

buffaloskinner wrote: It’s now sometimes cheaper to buy new than from a charity shop, I don’t know who prices them but some items are ridiculously over-priced dvds, cds etc.British Heart Foundation and Oxfam seem to be the worst offenders.It's not as though they have to buy stock in, its all donated. I used to know someone who worked at the Headingley Oxfam shop and she told me that they look through record collector magazines and search on Amazon/Ebay to check prices for books, records etc etc. and then price them accordingley. Everything used to to be £1-2 per album 25-50p for singles and 25p to £1 for books. I know they are a charity but it is taking the wassername.We have loads of charity shops in my little town and they don't do this so I can get some pretty good bargains.    
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

book

Post by book »

They have paid staffing structures with Chief Executives and corporate HQs in London. That lot has to be paid for somehow!!! Charity aint what it used to be
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Anyone remember Stringers in Kirkgate Market? They sold books and would buy them back or exchange them once you had read them.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Johnny39 wrote: Anyone remember Stringers in Kirkgate Market? They sold books and would buy them back or exchange them once you had read them. Yes, I remember Stringers. The books had a small black sticker on them to show the amount you got back if you returned them (or did the sticker show the price, and you got 50% of that back?).

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Ah yes I remember Stringers. They had loads of paperback books that could sometimes be a bit tatty but worth getting for a read of something that you would not buy to keep. I don't recall Stringers doing hardback books for return but perhaps Stringers did have them.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Phill_dvsn wrote: A lot of these little shops are sadly disappearing these days, the small bric a brac shops, book shops e.t.c. We seemed to have little army & navy surplus shops scattered about the City. It seems the Charity shops are the last great refuge for hoarding collectors, bargain hunters and eccentrics          That comes about from hardly having any army or navy left to actually have a surplus of anything.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]