Guess where Leeds (number 51 route)

How well do you know Leeds?
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Here's an unknown Leeds location puzzle, and one that should get the bus guys drooling!It shows Leeds AEC Regent III 625 in a bit of a tight spot, but where?It should be easy to narrow it down for those who remember the old 51 route as it was! Have fun     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

carith

Post by carith »

Morris Lane Kirkstall behind the Abbey house museum.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

philldI've no idea, but is that a Raleigh Record Ace 4 speed hub to the left?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

This one has got me really beaten but I must agree that it has a "Morris Lane" look about it. Possibly the building works were in connection with the new small Council housing development opposite the top of Abbey Walk near "Hark to Rover" cottages. A mystery item is what appears to be an anti-aircraft gun pedestal - is that a relic of defending Kirkstall Forge ??, although it looks too new. Anyhow, bus 625 (driven it many a mile) entered service on 3rd July 1950, and service 51 ceased on November 7th 1959 in a reorganisation connected with the final closure of the tramways.    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Si

Post by Si »

BLAKEY wrote: A mystery item is what appears to be an anti-aircraft gun pedestal - is that a relic of defending Kirkstall Forge ??, although it looks too new. Could be, Blakey, but I think it's more likely something to do with the crane in the background.Nice to see those old roadworks lamps I remember from my childhood.    

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Si wrote: BLAKEY wrote: A mystery item is what appears to be an anti-aircraft gun pedestal - is that a relic of defending Kirkstall Forge ??, although it looks too new. Could be, Blakey, but I think it's more likely something to do with the crane in the background.Nice to see those old roadworks lamps I remember from my childhood. I'm sure your right about the pedestal Si. Im still baffled by the location but I think the tops of the buildings between the second tree (on the left) and the crane are back to backs - as I live within half a mile I shall have to pay a site visit soon unless someone gets the answer right.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

book

Post by book »

Looks like Morris Lane but it could also be Old Farnley
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I had a look on Morris Lane on street view, but can't match it with any location on that street today.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

jim

Post by jim »

Bottom of Spen Lane, looking towards the Morris Lane/Abbey Walk junction?

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

Could the building on the right of the bus be the gate house type building for the Crooked Acres home.With as said before the Hark to Rover cottages to the left.
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.