Where is this bench mark in Leeds?

How well do you know Leeds?
PC - Dublin

Post by PC - Dublin »

The plot thickens.....It is most unusual to have a benchmark on a step like that. Benchmarks are usually carved into a stone in a building. There is no sign of the horizontal part of the benchmark which is always above the tripod. The level of that horizontal mark is, in turn, referred to in OS maps with a level above datum. That mark has been weathered away (hence no benchmarks on steps). It begs the question, has this stone been taken from elsewhere (a building?) and used to form the step?PC    

PC - Dublin

Post by PC - Dublin »

Wow, I think i killed this (excellent) thread "stone" dead! PC

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I wouldnt worry about it, happens to me all the time cos I'm not part of this 'clique'!
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

PC - Dublin wrote: Wow, I think i killed this (excellent) thread "stone" dead! PC I like chance spottings of Bench Marks. The photo (taken January 30 2012) shows a Bench Mark (BM) on the Great George Street frontage of the old Leeds School Board building. I had passed it very often without noticing it. I think it was because I was trying not to walk onto some scaffolding that I was looking where I was going! On looking at an 1893 map in the Old-Maps UK website I noticed that there is a BM there, so it may still be the original one (though if it is it has not been eroded much at all). Oh, and don't worry all I shall not be posting photos of the small collection of BM photos that I have taken (some of which do not seem to be now recorded as being there)! One I have failed to photo well enough to see is an old BM on a wall next to a gate in on Creskeld Lane (Bramhope) but it is too indistinct to get a photo that shows it.    
Attachments
__TFMF_cp5fyqayilmi5b45eeeopn45_975833aa-1ea6-433e-80ed-62168d33f448_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_cp5fyqayilmi5b45eeeopn45_975833aa-1ea6-433e-80ed-62168d33f448_0_main.jpg (226.21 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

book

Post by book »

Not a lot of natural light down there either.
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

I've seen what looks like part of a bench mark on one of the cobbles in the centre courtyard of Westone (the old post office building on Wellington Street). I assume they took the stones from somewhere that was demolished nearby.