Where is this?

How well do you know Leeds?
Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Myself and a pal were in the bar at The Guildford one night when a soda syphon exploded on the bar, what a shock that was!!! Fortunately no one was injured, but we all needed a drink. I've never heard of any syphons exploding since.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

The room above the Northern Monkey sign is where the snooker/billiards room was. If you went up in the lift the room was just to your left as you stepped out. We used the pub a lot from about 80 to 88, if you wanted to play snooker you had to ask the landlord and only a few peeps were allowed up there at a time. I don't know how you missed seeing the lift Phill as it was right in front of you as you came out of the main bar to go to the loo or Pool room. The room above the snooker room are the one's I've spoken about before that were left untouched from when it was a hotel. If anyone missed it, they still had made up beds furniture and all the gubbins a hotel room had. They were very dusty but looked liked they'd just been left. In the loft space was where all the paintings and portraits were stored, there was also some chandeliers and a lot of tea-chests full of stuff. I allus wondered what happened to it all.    
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I have a very hazy underage drinking memory of going up some stairs to a room with large billiard tables. We spent hours knocking the balls around and failing to pot a single thing.    

zip55

Post by zip55 »

I went in the Guildford on a trip back home in 1982. Middle of winter and about -5 outside, got inside, took my jacket off and put it on a chair. Went to the bar, came back, no jacket.

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

I too used to play pool in The Guildford, it's amazing how much many of us have in common. This would be roughly 1978-1982, slightly underage for drinking for the first half of that period.One recollection is my friend and I playing pool one night (probably a Friday) when the police came in and wouldn't let anybody leave.We thought it was a 'raid' and that we were going to get done for underage drinking, but in fact it was part of the Yorkshire Ripper investigation; some detectives came in and interviewed everyone present about what they were doing exactly one week before - as it happened, we'd been in The Guildford that night as well. I don't remember exactly when this was, but I'm guessing, looking back, that it was probably in connection with the Sutcliffe murder case in Headingley.Maybe some of our policeman Secret Leeds colleagues were involved?
The older I get, the better I was.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Bruno wrote: I too used to play pool in The Guildford, it's amazing how much many of us have in common. Yes, that makes two of us who are now prime suspects for nicking zip55's jacket (see previous page)!