On Which Pub

How well do you know Leeds?
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

The sign is on the wall in the yard at the back of the Regent pub.When I was little I remember having a bottle of fizzy pop and a ritz biscuit with a cheese triangle and a pickled onion in that yard and there was a window below that sign with a view in to some seafood shop,me and my brother were mesmerised looking at the crabs and eels and stuff and the staff would wave to us. It was a red hot day and i don't think women were allowed in the pub maybe as my mam asked someone at the back door to serve us.It seemed quite a rough pub but we enjoyed the cold drinks . . .I remember my Mam saying lets call in here for a gill.    

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

keyholekate wrote: The sign is on the wall in the yard at the back of the Regent pub.When I was little I remember having a bottle of fizzy pop and a ritz biscuit with a cheese triangle and a pickled onion in that yard and there was a window below that sign with a view in to some seafood shop,me and my brother were mesmerised looking at the crabs and eels and stuff and the staff would wave to us. It was a red hot day and i don't think women were allowed in the pub maybe as my mam asked someone at the back door to serve us.It seemed quite a rough pub but we enjoyed the cold drinks . . .I remember my Mam saying lets call in here for a gill.     Here is a photo of the seafood shop taken in 1949. I notice that the Guinness Clock had not been erected at this point.http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... AY=FULLThe yard that keyholekate mentions looks like it was behind DRAPERY in the photo.