Help wanted - Where is this?

How well do you know Leeds?
uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

I would have bet money that it wasn't Dewsbury Road before the last photos. I spent 5 years at Cockburn and lived in Primrose Lane for 6 years later on, so I know the area well.It shows how wrong you can be

tilly

Post by tilly »

Right see who knows this area from the past, going towards town from the Green Man pub the Junction was the next pub down.What did they call the one after the Junction?
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

tilly wrote: Right see who knows this area from the past, going towards town from the Green Man pub the Junction was the next pub down.What did they call the one after the Junction? Parkfield ?

tilly

Post by tilly »

uncle mick wrote: tilly wrote: Right see who knows this area from the past, going towards town from the Green Man pub the Junction was the next pub down.What did they call the one after the Junction? Parkfield ? Sorry but there was one before that.If i remember the Parkfield was at the Jack Lane junction this pub was before that.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Looking at the old maps the pub would have been on Derby Crescent?
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Got it!28th May 1964 View of the Silver Cross Hotel on Dewsbury Road, number 62. It is situated between the junctions of Silver Cross Street left (where William Wilson had his first Silver Cross Pram factory) and Derby Crescent, right. The Silver Cross Hotel is one of Tetley's Houses.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

kango wrote: The Parksider wrote: BillyBritvic wrote: tyke bhoy wrote: And the Conny Club from this selection http://www.leodis.net/searchResults.asp ... D=&PUBID=0 I seem to think (but not certain, I'm gettin old) there was another building at 90 degrees to the left of the club in the pic...... Are you young enough in mind to tell us what that big chimney was in the background Billy???????????? The chimney and its building was Highfield mills occupied By Henry Moore who made amongst other things army uniforms. EDIT Now demolished it stood to the left of Ringtons tea factory. CHEERS KANGO......................

tilly

Post by tilly »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Got it!28th May 1964 View of the Silver Cross Hotel on Dewsbury Road, number 62. It is situated between the junctions of Silver Cross Street left (where William Wilson had his first Silver Cross Pram factory) and Derby Crescent, right. The Silver Cross Hotel is one of Tetley's Houses.     You got it Phill but i have come to expect that well done.Starting at the Red Lion at Leeds Bridge up to the Tommy Wass there were lots of pubs when i was a kid.Would it be possible to say how many?    

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I love a challenge Tilly, we should do more of this on S.L I think

tilly

Post by tilly »

Phill_dvsn wrote: I love a challenge Tilly, we should do more of this on S.L I think Hi Phill our post just crossed This is a challenge but i dont know the answer.How many pubs on Dewsbury Road starting at the Red Lion up to the Tommy Wass?You would have to include Meadow Lane. Is the Adelphi on Meadow Lane if so this is the first pub.PS This is open to any one.This would be the years Fourtys and fiftys