What & Where? #19

How well do you know Leeds?
munki

Post by munki »

This one is going a bit cold, & I have been a bit neglectful of the Competition recently. Maybe a new one needs to be thought up... My brain is in a very Monday mode at the moment, but I will give it some thought. Any ideas from our Dear Readers for competitions would also be very useful...I will give you 24 hours to name the feature photographed by 'Inquirer' before I kill this one stone dead & announce an overall winner for 'What & Where?'... which is going to be PhilD unless someone gets in with an answer fast.Hope you all had a good weekend?Munki.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Mungo

Post by Mungo »

It looks like a farm building. The door can't be more than 3 foot high, and the the high wall suggests it's not meant to be seen by the occupants or guests of the big house. I would guess it's a pig sty or hen house.

northernlad

Post by northernlad »

Building near the Emmerdale Village?

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Is it just me.....?I think these what and where competitions should be of something that looks intriguing and/or interesting - and if you don't know where it is when it is revealled one's reaction should be "Ah, so that;s where it is! I' might go and have a look!" or something like that.I have to say this competition (no 19) does not hit the right buttons with me (is it a carrot floating in a puddle?)- I honestly don't care where it is and IF we ever do find out my reaction is likely to be "oh , ok, whatever"
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

stevief

Post by stevief »

drapesy wrote: Is it just me.....?I think these what and where competitions should be of something that looks intriguing and/or interesting - and if you don't know where it is when it is revealled one's reaction should be "Ah, so that;s where it is! I' might go and have a look!" or something like that.I have to say this competition (no 19) does not hit the right buttons with me (is it a carrot floating in a puddle?)- I honestly don't care where it is and IF we ever do find out my reaction is likely to be "oh , ok, whatever" Hear,hear. It would be more interesting if the subject had some architectural or historical significance.By the way-What is it?

munki

Post by munki »

Put it this way... I am not an architect, or an architectural historian... It is an absolute dream that I actually get paid to run this website, although I end up doing almost all of it out of office hours.But I don't have an endless store of these photos of weird & wonderful places in the hard drive of my computer!!! I need people to take the pictures & send them in to me, otherwise, it's gonna cost me a lot of money in shoe leather!Rant over...
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

northernlad

Post by northernlad »

So can we find out what and where it is?

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

No i don't think you can knock munki.. if the places were all town hall, civic hall & well known buildings then it would be too easy.. Although i do agree it's a bloody boring subject thats beat us all so i think we should finally blow the whistle on this one & name me the WINNER!!! ha.... :-)
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Well, it seems to have stumped you all.It's Langley Well on the Harewood estate, one of Leeds's least known listed buildings. It's to the left of the footpath leading from Eccup village into the Harewood estate before you get to the Emmerdale set. It's in a largeish square stone-built structure in a field.To find it on Google earth: find Eccup reservoir, and it's about half a mile due north from about a quarter of the way along the reservoir from the end where the dam isn't.

rikj

Post by rikj »

Thanks for that Inquirer, never knew about it. Does it still function as a well do you know?