Can anyone identify this bus?

How well do you know Leeds?
majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

BLAKEY wrote: DAYoung wrote: Possibly a Roe-bodied all-red Yorkshire (YWD) bus.D. A. Young Oh dear - egg on my face again as I'm supposed to be an afficianado of all things Leeds Bus scene over the years.Top marks to DAYoung and to Phill D as I'm sure that's spot on. I was misled by the optical illusion which makes the front mudguard appear to protrude about a foot (ridiculous of course) from the bodywork and by the abnormal lack of the "Yorkshire" fleetname.Having studied a similar photo of Samuel Ledgard's JUA 763 (one of my all time favourites to work on either end) there is no doubt - 763 was also a utility Guy Arab rebodied indentically by Roe. In Billy's picture the rear half shaft (although blurred) is definitely the Guy fitting, and the position of the fuel filler, cab door and step etc are exactly right. As my old teachers used to put in my reports "Must concentrate and try harder."      I'm not going to be the one to contradict you Blakey, but the YWD Guy Arabs didn't have a ring over the wheel nuts like this one has. I remember the YWD buses being maroon colour - and this could certainly be one of them. However, there was also a company taken over by West Riding called Bullock & Son (B & S) and I believe their vehicles were also maroon - could this be one of theirs? The other thought that comes to mind is Hebble Motors.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Is there some writing above the fuel cap?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Cardiarms wrote: Is there some writing above the fuel cap? This is the fleet number Cardiarms - a common practice to show it in that position to assist the refuelling people in the garages.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

[quotenick="majorhoundii"] BLAKEY wrote: DAYoung wrote: Possibly a Roe-bodied all-red Yorkshire (YWD) bus.D. A. Young I'm not going to be the one to contradict you Blakey, but the YWD Guy Arabs didn't have a ring over the wheel nuts like this one has. I remember the YWD buses being maroon colour - and this could certainly be one of them. However, there was also a company taken over by West Riding called Bullock & Son (B & S) and I believe their vehicles were also maroon - could this be one of theirs? The other thought that comes to mind is Hebble Motors. No worries majorhoundii - I don't mind at all any further views on this most puzzling picture, but I do still think that it must be a YWD Guy, probably in the all over "plum" colour which preceded the red.It does indeed look like a wheel ring but I think it may be an optical illusion probably caused by the bus moving (towards Aire Street) and a very slow film of the time. Bullock and Sons had very few utility Guys and I don't think any were rebodied by Roe, and B & S were in maroon and red with cream stripe and had no reason ever to be in City Square.    Likewise Hebble at the time were maroon and chocolate, and ran from King Street (downhill in "two way" days)) turning right onto Wellington Street and so, again, no City Square. I think this ties up the mystery but if anyone else can think of any further pointers please do say.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

jim

Post by jim »

Blakey, is the writing Cardiarms referred to the very faint blur above the fleet number running for about the width of the window above it? (I am assuming that the fleet number is the more noticeable light coloured writing that is about the same length as the width of the fuel cap cut-out) I seem to detect a "W" or a "Y" as a first letter of a company identity.Also, is the apparent rear extension of the front mudguard a "kick plate" between the cab footstep and the base of the cab door?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

jim wrote: Blakey, is the writing Cardiarms referred to the very faint blur above the fleet number running for about the width of the window above it? (I am assuming that the fleet number is the more noticeable light coloured writing that is about the same length as the width of the fuel cap cut-out) I seem to detect a "W" or a "Y" as a first letter of a company identity.Also, is the apparent rear extension of the front mudguard a "kick plate" between the cab footstep and the base of the cab door? You must be awarded the Gold cup here Jim - I'm sure you've clinched it now !! Before reading your post I couldn't see any trace at all of a fleet name, but on much closer inspection you're definitely right - it IS the "Y" of "Yorkshire" and in the right place too. I assume that Cardiarms meant the little white fleetnumber over the fuel cap, but he may be as eagle eyed as your goodself and have spotted the "Y" as well.I think that the apparent extension of the mudguard is actually only an optical illusion, exaggerated by the particular angle of this picture - its more realistically visible in the picture I have of the Ledgard JUA 763, and there is more mudguard showing on these than on other makes and types for whatever reason.Thanks again for the final piece of this very difficult jigsaw - despite my keen interest in all such things the mystery was just beginning to "get to me" a bit.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

That's what I meant.attempt to post extract.
Attachments
__TFMF_wjdvkhv3zymhhmj4qsq5bdr3_782afed2-c9bd-4c95-ba26-55debb9dce05_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_wjdvkhv3zymhhmj4qsq5bdr3_782afed2-c9bd-4c95-ba26-55debb9dce05_0_main.jpg (2.22 KiB) Viewed 1923 times

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Though my attempt to isolate the area seems to have produced a grey rectangle.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Cardiarms wrote: Though my attempt to isolate the area seems to have produced a grey rectangle. No problem Sir - its clear enough to confirm that the small white numbers on the fuel filler are what you were referring to .

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I love threads like this one. Mind you CSI would be helpful as they would be able to enhance the smallest detail. Wasn't there an episode where they were able to bring up a distorted very faint small wrong way round reflection on a bumber bar and were then able to identify the person in it! A clear image of such as the driver of this bus would be no problem for CSI.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.