Where is this chimney?

How well do you know Leeds?
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

In view of its AD 1883 date I thought this chimney may be of interest as well as a where is it to be found in Leeds question. I took the photo today (Oct 7 2011).
Attachments
__TFMF_00fcozed2o1qozj0sujdsg33_e5bcb6ef-2b0c-4bb4-8b41-9c4d923b7dec_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_00fcozed2o1qozj0sujdsg33_e5bcb6ef-2b0c-4bb4-8b41-9c4d923b7dec_0_main.jpg (468.91 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

No answers yet. I don't know if that's because it's too hard or if it's so well known it's too easy!In case it's hard here's a clue. It is at a pub that has the name of the road it is on (there are at least two stories above the pub and they seem not be part of the pub and they seem not to be in use). It's probably too easy now!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

It might be because your picture is so large, all one sees upon opening with realising the need to scroll, is sky!Here is a copy reduced to 20%. Resizing before posting my be useful Leodian
Attachments
__TFMF_zhbvto324gaihoivl2ydrg45_bada0859-1447-48f7-8759-d090d7c28d23_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_zhbvto324gaihoivl2ydrg45_bada0859-1447-48f7-8759-d090d7c28d23_0_main.jpg (32.72 KiB) Viewed 1887 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

chameleon wrote: It might be because your picture is so large, all one sees upon opening with realising the need to scroll, is sky!Here is a copy reduced to 20%. Resizing before posting my be useful Leodian I did reduce it to 525Kb, which was only about 33% of what it was. That made it look sufficiently small on my monitor but the SL website displayed it very large. Apologies for the large image but I did not know it would appear so big on SL. It is hard to guess just how small to reduce a photo if you do not know how it will look on SL. The chimney is at the Duncan pub on Duncan Street. I was a bit surprised that I could easily read it from the other side of the road as my eyesight is not good.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Would not be surprised if Sam Smiths did not own most of that row of buildings as the Star and Garter(another Sams house same as the Duncan) was at the corner of Duncan Street and Call Lane

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Leodian, big pictures can be good if you want to show a lot of detail nd the site accepts upto 1Meg.My general picture resolution stores at about 1.5Meg too and I reduce to around 25% for general posting. Not a problem, unless folk want to see the whole thing at once easily

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

chameleon wrote: Leodian, big pictures can be good if you want to show a lot of detail nd the site accepts upto 1Meg.My general picture resolution stores at about 1.5Meg too and I reduce to around 25% for general posting. Not a problem, unless folk want to see the whole thing at once easily Hi chameleon. I wonder if it possible to edit a picture size once it is posted on SL?As I said in a post above I was surprised that I noticed there is wording on the chimney. I have got into a habit of looking up as well as down when walking around. It's surprising what is seen (where street furniture and/or parked cars do not get in the way!). Nothing to do with the thread but walking on North Street on Oct 7 2011 I happened to notice a bench mark cut into what are new(ish) bricks in a wall at the side of steps leading to Little London. I like to take photos of bench marks and it was very unusual to see one that is clearly recent! It can be seen in the photo I took at the time. PS. My poor photographing skills are evident by me not realising that part of my shadow when taking the photo is visible. Red faced me!
Attachments
__TFMF_tu3at1egj14gao45qd1p10ae_dda23f12-c1c8-475b-85b5-8f163c986698_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_tu3at1egj14gao45qd1p10ae_dda23f12-c1c8-475b-85b5-8f163c986698_0_main.jpg (396.96 KiB) Viewed 1887 times

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Leodian wrote: chameleon wrote: Leodian, big pictures can be good if you want to show a lot of detail nd the site accepts upto 1Meg.My general picture resolution stores at about 1.5Meg too and I reduce to around 25% for general posting. Not a problem, unless folk want to see the whole thing at once easily Hi chameleon. I wonder if it possible to edit a picture size once it is posted on SL?As I said in a post above I was surprised that I noticed there is wording on the chimney. I have got into a habit of looking up as well as down when walking around. It's surprising what is seen (where street furniture and/or parked cars do not get in the way!). Nothing to do with the thread but walking on North Street on Oct 7 2011 I happened to notice a bench mark cut into what are new(ish) bricks in a wall at the side of steps leading to Little London. I like to take photos of bench marks and it was very unusual to see one that is clearly recent! It can be seen in the photo I took at the time. PS. My poor photographing skills are evident by me not realising that part of my shadow when taking the photo is visible. Red faced me! The only way Leodian is to delete and start again! Don't worry about it, it just drrmed dpertinent to that particular shot - and don't worry about capturing your shadow, there is one beautiful shot burried in here which (once you've realised) shows the photographer's lower legs in 4 or 5 different places, actually really adds to the atmosphere of the picture!And every photo is worth having if it means something to someone. Buildings are always the easiest of things to make look apealing - after all, you can't make 'em smile can you If it shows what you want, at least you have the minimum.