olawale case in the late 60s

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
scottishmagic

Post by scottishmagic »

Hi...so what was the olawale case....?Scottishmagic (incidently was the name of my horse that I had at that time, not something I am acclaiming to be....scottish or magic!)

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

the police dumped a tramp called stephen olawale in the canal because he was a nuisance
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

fevlad wrote: the police dumped a tramp called stephen olawale in the canal because he was a nuisance from my dealings with them....sounds about the stamp of them.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi everyone,So far there has been alot of duff information on this topic. The name was David Oluwale and he was chased by the Police near to Call Lane. I don't think that there was any evidence of the Police pushing or throwing Oluwale into the River Aire (not the canal), I believe that he was chased by the Police and jumped into the river to escape, I think that it was near to the Hope and Anchor (New Penny). I am not making any excuse for the behaviour of the officers but lets get the facts right.There is further information here for anyone who is interested:http://www.irr.org.uk/2007/may/ha000008.htmlIf you put 'David Oluwale' into Google or Wikipedia there is lots of information about his life and the background and circumstances of his death. The incident has been mentioned in many books.The investigation into the incident was conducted by the Metropolitan Police. Detective Chief Superintendent 'Polly' Perkins and Detective Sergeant Basil Haddrell were the investigating officers and were based at Brotherton House. The Sergeant and Inspector were not found guilty of any homicide offences, only assaults.Ian.        

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

iansmithofotley wrote: Hi everyone,So far there has been alot of duff information on this topic. The name was David Oluwale and he was chased by the Police near to Call Lane. I don't think that there was any evidence of the Police pushing or throwing Oluwale into the River Aire (not the canal), I believe that he was chased by the Police and jumped into the river to escape, I think that it was near to the Hope and Anchor (New Penny). I am not making any excuse for the behaviour of the officers but lets get the facts right.There is further information here for anyone who is interested:http://www.irr.org.uk/2007/may/ha000008.htmlIf you put 'David Oluwale' into Google or Wikipedia there is lots of information about his life and the background and circumstances of his death. The incident has been mentioned in many books.The investigation into the incident was conducted by the Metropolitan Police. Detective Chief Superintendent 'Polly' Perkins and Detective Sergeant Basil Haddrell were the investigating officers and were based at Brotherton House. The Sergeant and Inspector were not found guilty of any homicide offences, only assaults.Ian.         thanks for setting me straightI wass living in Scotland at the time and gleaned all my information from Private Eye.My memory as is my detailed inmfo about the case is sketchyreading this account it is even more appalling than I thought it was.    
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

remember when we all got spammed to death from that kester Aspden bloke??didn't he have a book out about olawale?
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Yeah the book is OK, I bough it when I came out. Seems to be a relatively short set or tragic events, that Aspden has padded out to make a full book. Sad really as my gradparents remember this guy as it was apparently rare for a black homeless person to be in Leeds (still is I think, never see any). They way Aspden presents the facts, he suggests that they two police men had a thing for harrasing Olawale for the fun of it, and without the racial predudices of the time he might not have even been in the situation he found himself in with trips to Highroyds between living on the streets.

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

I know I'm a bit late to this thread, have been absent for a while. I've just read, from the link to, the story about David and I'm shocked! I'd never heard of this case. That poor man. As if he didn't suffer enough eh? I'm not really sure that we've moved on that much from this type of behaviour sometimes...

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Leeds Lass wrote: I know I'm a bit late to this thread, have been absent for a while. I've just read, from the link to, the story about David and I'm shocked! I'd never heard of this case. That poor man. As if he didn't suffer enough eh? I'm not really sure that we've moved on that much from this type of behaviour sometimes... reading that link just shows you the narrow minded,thick biggot b*****ds that we trusted to 'protect and serve' us in the 60s.they even got the derogotory words wrong.wog was slang for anyone from the indian sub continent for starters.i know a lot of you think that the law are the best and most upstanding members of our communities....but they are not.yes yes yes....some are loyal and true,but a lot are rotten to the core and will do anything for a collar,trust me....i know.there are those of them that are as bent today as they were then.i just hope this man found peace on the other side.........p.s. leeds lass! how are you,where the hell you been girl?....can you remember what thread you wrote in,the one about the figures in wet fur or wet leather? the ones i said had also been seen on the ring road in x gates and colton?
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Rich87

Post by Rich87 »

yeah some coppers are bent, i know straight up! i got arrested 2 years ago for somethin silly, 1st copper i was talkin to was nice as pie, we talked then he went out of the room. next thing, a different copper walks in, so we were talkin for a while, then he says ''your a really pleasant lad, pc ******* said you were very rude and aggressive towards him''!! I just looked at him shocked! and he said 'dont worry lad, you get pricks like that in this job'!!