olawale case in the late 60s

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
big s

Post by big s »

iansmithofotley wrote: Hi everyone,So far there has been alot of duff information on this topic. The name was David Oluwale and he was chased by the Police near to Call Lane. I don't think that there was any evidence of the Police pushing or throwing Oluwale into the River Aire (not the canal), I believe that he was chased by the Police and jumped into the river to escape, I think that it was near to the Hope and Anchor (New Penny). I am not making any excuse for the behaviour of the officers but lets get the facts right.There is further information here for anyone who is interested:http://www.irr.org.uk/2007/may/ha000008.htmlIf you put 'David Oluwale' into Google or Wikipedia there is lots of information about his life and the background and circumstances of his death. The incident has been mentioned in many books.The investigation into the incident was conducted by the Metropolitan Police. Detective Chief Superintendent 'Polly' Perkins and Detective Sergeant Basil Haddrell were the investigating officers and were based at Brotherton House. The Sergeant and Inspector were not found guilty of any homicide offences, only assaults.Ian.         i thought there was evidence of them throwing him in the river,either way they were convicted of causing his death,in some way or another.p.s. i watched oluwale dragged out of the river and i can still picture it now.
at least until the world stops going round.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

According to the book there is no real evidence the pushed him in. People saw someone being chased down to the river, but it was not conclusively proven to be David.This is a sad tale, especially if you read the way Kester Aspden or whatever his name is presents it. I know he was annoying spamming everyone.I think it makes it all the more real an poignient to Leeds people because as you read it you can identify the places that are mentioned such as John Peters' building which is still there although much altered. Maybe to teach Kester a lesson we should buy one copy and pass it round all 1002 users! Would take 3 years if everyone read it in a night but....

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

what about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Kiszkothe bizzies proper made cock ups there.the blooody judge even commended them
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Clankylad

Post by Clankylad »

LS1 wrote: According to the book there is no real evidence the pushed him in. People saw someone being chased down to the river, but it was not conclusively proven to be David.This is a sad tale, especially if you read the way Kester Aspden or whatever his name is presents it. I know he was annoying spamming everyone.I think it makes it all the more real an poignient to Leeds people because as you read it you can identify the places that are mentioned such as John Peters' building which is still there although much altered. Maybe to teach Kester a lesson we should buy one copy and pass it round all 1002 users! Would take 3 years if everyone read it in a night but.... I guess Kester Aspden must have annoyed people on this site, but I'd still recommend the book - even for people with no specific interest in the Oluwale case, there's a lot of interesting 'old Leeds' material, my favourite bit being the policeman who regularly used to see Jimmy Saville emerging from the darkness at 3am to stare up at the Black Prince...
"This is the North. We do what we like."

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

Brandy wrote: what about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Kiszkothe bizzies proper made cock ups there.the blooody judge even commended them the Kiszko case was more than a mere cock up one of the most disgusting miscarriages of justice in modern times.the life that guy have had in prison must have been hell.
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

LS1

Post by LS1 »

I just wanted to say, that last night I went to the playhouse showing of "The Hounding Of David Oluwale" and would really recommend it to anyone who can make it. It finishes 21st February and portrays a very sympathetic vew of the whole affair. It does kind of portray events in perhaps slightly biased way, but no-one can take away the fact that the two policemen involved hounded the guy to his demise. Also confirms some of the stories people have posted on here about Menston and the ways in which the patients were treated and the long lasting effects the "treatments" had.

Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

And what has any of this got to do with Ghosts and Goblins

simong

Post by simong »

fevlad wrote: Brandy wrote: what about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Kiszkothe bizzies proper made cock ups there.the blooody judge even commended them the Kiszko case was more than a mere cock up one of the most disgusting miscarriages of justice in modern times.the life that guy have had in prison must have been hell. David Peace includes his story in '1974'. Don't know if it's in the film.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Festwerfer wrote: And what has any of this got to do with Ghosts and Goblins Who knows, I didnt start the thread. There's sommany threads on here now its like a jungle trying to make your way through them.Onlypeople whoo have been on here for ages remember whats been said before, otherwise it's a nightmare to go thru everything!

Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

I mean its in totaly the wrong section