olawale case in the late 60s

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

[. reading that link just shows you the narrow minded,thick biggot b*****ds that we trusted to 'protect and serve' us in the 60s.they even got the derogotory words wrong.wog was slang for anyone from the indian sub continent for starters.i know a lot of you think that the law are the best and most upstanding members of our communities....but they are not.yes yes yes....some are loyal and true,but a lot are rotten to the core and will do anything for a collar,trust me....i know.there are those of them that are as bent today as they were then.i just hope this man found peace on the other side.........p.s. leeds lass! how are you,where the hell you been girl?....can you remember what thread you wrote in,the one about the figures in wet fur or wet leather? the ones i said had also been seen on the ring road in x gates and colton? Of course it wasn't that long after the David Ollawale (?) incident that Peter Sutcliffe was allowed to run riot mainly in Bradford and Leeds, IMO largely because of the incompetence caused by the conflict in the newly formed West Yorkshire Metropolitan force between former Leeds and West Riding detectives.Any decent clerk with a cardex - never mind a computer could have pinpointed Sutcliffe as a major suspect but it never happened presumably because of this rivalry.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Bang on there Trojan! Well said! (Look how many times they bloody picked him up too and let him go again!) Incompetence! My maternal grandad was a copper in the 40's and 50's, "clip round the ear and get off home stuff"! Times were better then, as regards policing!! What I call proper policemen! Oooh, I could rant on forever about the police these days, but I won't!!! ;-)

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Sorry Trojan, just re-read your post. Have had a tough year, lost my mum suddenly, a year ago and then have had various health issues. But anyway, I'm here! The thread you refer to is Terror On The Road. It was a fur covered figure on the ring road between Rodley roundabout and Horsforth roundabout. Very spooky. Why, have you got more info??!!!

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

Leeds Lass wrote: Bang on there Trojan! Well said! (Look how many times they bloody picked him up too and let him go again!) Incompetence! My maternal grandad was a copper in the 40's and 50's, "clip round the ear and get off home stuff"! Times were better then, as regards policing!! What I call proper policemen! Oooh, I could rant on forever about the police these days, but I won't!!! ;-) you might get an argument fromgeorge kelly(1950), derek bentley(1953), and Timothy Evans(1950), but you wont because they are dead-hanged and later found innocent: bentley had learning difficulties, and so did Evans but I don't think it caused the police of the day to take that into consideration when interrogating them.
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

fevlad wrote: Leeds Lass wrote: Bang on there Trojan! Well said! (Look how many times they bloody picked him up too and let him go again!) Incompetence! My maternal grandad was a copper in the 40's and 50's, "clip round the ear and get off home stuff"! Times were better then, as regards policing!! What I call proper policemen! Oooh, I could rant on forever about the police these days, but I won't!!! ;-) you might get an argument fromgeorge kelly(1950), derek bentley(1953), and Timothy Evans(1950), but you wont because they are dead-hanged and later found innocent: bentley had learning difficulties, and so did Evans but I don't think it caused the police of the day to take that into consideration when interrogating them. This is way off topic, but in the Bentley case, he was hanged because despite being under arrest when the copper was killed, he was heard to say "let him have it Chris" It was Chris Craig (who was too young to hang) who shot the copper, but Bentley was convicted and sentenced to death because of this statement. Fair enough. I suppose encouraging your accomplice to "let him have it" is tantamount to doing the deed yourself. The only problem with this is that the only witnesses who heard Bentley say it were policemen - and there were other people there who were not called at the trial who didn't hear Bentley say anything at all. I understand that in those days the police had a culture that if one of their's got killed then someone from the opposition had to pay with their life - the allegation being that Bentley was the scapegoat. The judge Lord Justice Goddard a notoriously hard judge, saw to it that Bentley was convicted in his instructions to the jury, and when they came back to ask a question he brandished Bentley's (or Craig's) knuckleduster leaving them in no doubt of what verdict he expected.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Si

Post by Si »

Some say the comment "Let him have it" referred to the policeman saying, "Give me the gun." Rather ambiguous.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

There are lots of cases of people falling in the river in Leeds, drowning, and being caried all the way down the Aire to where Thwaite mills is, and getting stuck in the wier there.I had heard that at one point Leeds City police used to nudge a body over the wier so it went a bit further along and then bacame the problem of Wakefield police. Not sure it's true, but it wouldn't work now i guess as it is all West Yorkshire POlice.

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

LS1 wrote: There are lots of cases of people falling in the river in Leeds, drowning, and being caried all the way down the Aire to where Thwaite mills is, and getting stuck in the wier there.I had heard that at one point Leeds City police used to nudge a body over the wier so it went a bit further along and then bacame the problem of Wakefield police. Not sure it's true, but it wouldn't work now i guess as it is all West Yorkshire POlice. this used to happen(allegedly) with the city of wakefield police, bodies would be nudged down stream to become the domain of the West Riding Constabulary

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

fevlad wrote: LS1 wrote: There are lots of cases of people falling in the river in Leeds, drowning, and being caried all the way down the Aire to where Thwaite mills is, and getting stuck in the wier there.I had heard that at one point Leeds City police used to nudge a body over the wier so it went a bit further along and then bacame the problem of Wakefield police. Not sure it's true, but it wouldn't work now i guess as it is all West Yorkshire POlice. this used to happen(allegedly) with the city of wakefield police, bodies would be nudged down stream to become the domain of the West Riding Constabulary Well it's hardly in the same league as a dead body, but many years ago, when Wakefield had its own police force, Helen and I "found" a dog at the Jolly Sailor pub, on Doncaster Road, we took it to the cop shop on Wood Street in Wakefield, and were told that the Jolly Sailor was in the West Riding and they didn't want to know - so we took it back to the Jolly Sailor and left it there.I can't remember when the orignial West Yorkshire Police was formed (some time in the late sixties I think) but I know that Leeds, Bradford, and Sheffield City forces weren't included. It was Dewsbury, Wakefield, Rotherham, Barnsley, Halifax, Huddersfield Doncaster and West Riding. Leeds and Bradford were included in 1974, Barnsley, Rotherham, Doncaster and Sheffield were included in the South Yorkshire force.
Industria Omnia Vincit

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

Trojan wrote: fevlad wrote: LS1 wrote: There are lots of cases of people falling in the river in Leeds, drowning, and being caried all the way down the Aire to where Thwaite mills is, and getting stuck in the wier there.I had heard that at one point Leeds City police used to nudge a body over the wier so it went a bit further along and then bacame the problem of Wakefield police. Not sure it's true, but it wouldn't work now i guess as it is all West Yorkshire POlice. this used to happen(allegedly) with the city of wakefield police, bodies would be nudged down stream to become the domain of the West Riding Constabulary Well it's hardly in the same league as a dead body, but many years ago, when Wakefield had its own police force, Helen and I "found" a dog at the Jolly Sailor pub, on Doncaster Road, we took it to the cop shop on Wood Street in Wakefield, and were told that the Jolly Sailor was in the West Riding and they didn't want to know - so we took it back to the Jolly Sailor and left it there.I can't remember when the orignial West Yorkshire Police was formed (some time in the late sixties I think) but I know that Leeds, Bradford, and Sheffield City forces weren't included. It was Dewsbury, Wakefield, Rotherham, Barnsley, Halifax, Huddersfield Doncaster and West Riding. Leeds and Bradford were included in 1974, Barnsley, Rotherham, Doncaster and Sheffield were included in the South Yorkshire force. you wasted your effort Troj-you should have taken it to wood street nick a West Riding cop shop in wakefield, or even police headquarters a couple of hundred yards away on laburnum grove.maybe the incident was the straw that broke the camel's back that led to re organisation.