Infamous Sons & Daughters of Leeds

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

fell runner wrote: anyone remember a guy called Jimmy Nugent ? he played amateur rugby league for Queens in the mid-seventies.He was a bruiser and a bit of a nutcase, I had the pleasure ? of playing against him a few times.An ex-referee told me he passed away a few years ago. I knew of him, I suppot Milford so didn' t really see him play. But I beleive he was well know around the traps as a" hardman".Some of my old Brudenell school mates played with him at the Queens.Seemed to remember he had a head made for radio.
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

fell runner wrote: Would that be the book ' Urban Grimshaw and the shed crew' by Bernard Hare ? a cracking good read !I knew all the hideaways,ginnels and garages mentioned in the book,most of them were ,and some still are, around East End Park. Yes,thats the book.YEP mentioned his real name in an article when it came out.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

fell runner

Post by fell runner »

yorkiesknob wrote: fell runner wrote: anyone remember a guy called Jimmy Nugent ? he played amateur rugby league for Queens in the mid-seventies.He was a bruiser and a bit of a nutcase, I had the pleasure ? of playing against him a few times.An ex-referee told me he passed away a few years ago. I knew of him, I suppot Milford so didn' t really see him play. But I beleive he was well know around the traps as a" hardman".Some of my old Brudenell school mates played with him at the Queens.Seemed to remember he had a head made for radio. Yes,he certainly did ! I'm hoping to play masters rugby for either Milford or East Leeds this summer.How is Brisbane ? I was there in Nov 2008 for the rugby. Stayed in Vulture Street near the cricket ground. One helluva storm while we were there ! blew my washing half way up the street !

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

Fellrunner, do you know Trevor Bowe or Graham Richardson by any chance. Also I use to knock around with Kevin Dick on Gibbs field when we where both Kids.

fell runner

Post by fell runner »

yorkiesknob wrote: Fellrunner, do you know Trevor Bowe or Graham Richardson by any chance. Also I use to knock around with Kevin Dick on Gibbs field when we where both Kids. No I don't know those two. I know Kevin Dick only through his Leeds R.L days. He is a lot tubbier now !!!

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

fell runner wrote: yorkiesknob wrote: Fellrunner, do you know Trevor Bowe or Graham Richardson by any chance. Also I use to knock around with Kevin Dick on Gibbs field when we where both Kids. No I don't know those two. I know Kevin Dick only through his Leeds R.L days. He is a lot tubbier now !!! Mate ,your right last time I saw Kevin he certainly had put the beef on.Another team mate of Kevin is Big Roy Dickinson, I ran into him at the world cup here in Brisbane. I think he was leading a tour party.Tom Kelly ex Milford player was with him at Suncorp Statium .I beleive Roy still hangs around the Leeds area and is often in the supporters club.Cheers Y

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

yorkiesknob wrote: fell runner wrote: yorkiesknob wrote: Fellrunner, do you know Trevor Bowe or Graham Richardson by any chance. Also I use to knock around with Kevin Dick on Gibbs field when we where both Kids. No I don't know those two. I know Kevin Dick only through his Leeds R.L days. He is a lot tubbier now !!! Mate ,your right last time I saw Kevin he certainly had put the beef on.Another team mate of Kevin is Big Roy Dickinson, I ran into him at the world cup here in Brisbane. I think he was leading a tour party.Tom Kelly ex Milford player was with him at Suncorp Statium .I beleive Roy still hangs around the Leeds area and is often in the supporters club.Cheers Y I was at the same school as Roy. He was a year or 2 older than me, at Ben Gotts.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Rath00

Post by Rath00 »

iansmithofotley wrote: Hi Pashy,I knew Eugene Lacey. He was a bouncer at some Leeds Clubs, in the 60's, but I can't remember which ones. He was a stocky, thick set man with greased wavy hair.Ian.     Hi AllSome names on here look familiar. Anyone know of Jimmy Baines, or his whereabouts , use to be his pal in the day but now im down in cornwall enjoying the quiet life.Rathy

Rath00

Post by Rath00 »

Hi AllSome names on here look familiar. Anyone know of Jimmy Baines, or his whereabouts , use to be his pal in the day but now im down in cornwall enjoying the quiet life.Rathy

Rath00

Post by Rath00 »

Steve Jones wrote: fell runner wrote: Would that be the book ' Urban Grimshaw and the shed crew' by Bernard Hare ? a cracking good read !I knew all the hideaways,ginnels and garages mentioned in the book,most of them were ,and some still are, around East End Park. Yes,thats the book.YEP mentioned his real name in an article when it came out. Hi AllSome names on here look familiar. Anyone know of Jimmy Baines, or his whereabouts , use to be his pal in the day but now im down in cornwall enjoying the quiet life.Rathy