Infamous Sons & Daughters of Leeds

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
chemimike

Re: Infamous Sons & Daughters of Leeds

Post by chemimike »

There are more details at https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Q3k ... on&f=false . The murderer's name was Anthony Hunter

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

The shop was on Lodge Lane not Lady Pit Lane.
the guy in question lived with his mother in Hill Street.

There is a thread here about it here.

http://secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?t=2218

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

[quote="TABBYCAT"]The shop was on Lodge Lane not Lady Pit Lane.
the guy in question lived with his mother in Hill Street.

Thanks for that info, did not mean L.P.Lane. I remember the Police activity round the shop as I used to stick a few bob in the Lodge Lane P. Office each Saturday morning in those days.

weeman

Post by weeman »

Did anybody have any experiences with Paul sykes? I found him through watching this documentary on youtube, hes unintentionally hilarious but does seem like a scary bloke. My dad remembers him fro the market tavern and said he was bonkers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BWFOdENQ5TM. Link to the documentary

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

weeman wrote:Did anybody have any experiences with Paul sykes? I found him through watching this documentary on youtube, hes unintentionally hilarious but does seem like a scary bloke. My dad remembers him fro the market tavern and said he was bonkers.

Though I never knew him personally I do remember when Batley Variety Club was open it was owned by a friend of mine Derek Ford of Castleford along with Jimmy Corrigan. They used to invite Paul over, dress him in a tuxedo and just the sight of him walking about the club was enough to dissuade any troublemakers though A. it was not rough and B. he was not a bouncer there. As he was from Wakefield I would not have thought he would have frequented the "Madhouse" in Leeds city centre but your Dad could be quite correct. as for his boxing career I don't think he made the Big Time though not being a fan.
maybe some else would know.

P.s. After looking at the early clips on Youtube it seems he was quite a fighter in the ring.
Last edited by j.c.d. on Wed 16 Sep, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

weeman wrote:Did anybody have any experiences with Paul sykes? I found him through watching this documentary on youtube, hes unintentionally hilarious but does seem like a scary bloke. My dad remembers him fro the market tavern and said he was bonkers.

sadly I had a lot of dealings with him and his family via the courts.As he got older his health went particularly after his mother died which hit him hard.He was then targeted by people he had attacked in the past so got worse.he moved to Castleford where I heard he died.2 of his sons are still serving prison sentences for serious offences.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

GEMSTAR

Re:

Post by GEMSTAR »

I've known Eddie Cawley on and off for the last fifteen years.He now lives a quiet life and is one of the most pleasant individuals i've ever met.

@ofrako Eddie Cawleyw has he got a daughter a to a lady called JULie Ellisnson daughter called Gemma Ellison x

tilly

Post by tilly »

Welcome to S/L thanks for your input .
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

When we moved to Beeston about 1947 my Mother pointed out a large corner house which she said a murder had taken place some time before. This was a large house on the corner of Beeston Road and possibly Sunnyview Avenue. It was a Doctors house. Don't know any more than that although it may have been a subject on Secret Leeds before.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

volvojack wrote:
Fri 05 Feb, 2021 4:55 pm
When we moved to Beeston about 1947 my Mother pointed out a large corner house which she said a murder had taken place some time before. This was a large house on the corner of Beeston Road and possibly Sunnyview Avenue. It was a Doctors house. Don't know any more than that although it may have been a subject on Secret Leeds before.
4th May 1945
IMG_2644.JPG
IMG_2644.JPG (65.63 KiB) Viewed 1698 times