Infamous Sons & Daughters of Leeds

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

second threead started with thee same title - I've put the post into here:FROMwilfbarrUser Location: leeds Joined on: 10-Nov-2009 14:56:06Posted: 24 posts # Posted on: 22-Mar-2010 09:05:04.    Edit | Quote any one remember the chief magistrate cleworth i think he lived in scarbrough in the late seventys wilfbarr info please wilfbarr     

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi chameleon,He was the stipendiary magistrate in Leeds until, I believe, the early 1960's. John Randolph was the stipe from around the mid 1960's for a long time but then became a judge. Ralph Cleworth had a reputation for being 'very strict and harsh' whereas Randolph was regarded as 'soft'. I believe it was David Loy who took over from Randolph. Loy's reputation was 'firm but fair'. I have no idea what happened when the magistrates courts moved from the Town Hall to the present location and have lost touch with it all since I retired. I believe that the position of 'stipendiary magistrate' has now been abolished and paid magistrates are now called 'district judges (magistrates court)'.Ian    

joanne13

Post by joanne13 »

John Haigh (the acid bath murderer) grew up in Outwood.

Paul B

Post by Paul B »

EFL wrote: Eugene Lacy used to be reffered to as the Pudsey Mafia and was an associate of the Kray twins. Sorry all, but as romantic as it may seem in a twisted way and without wanting to offend anyone, I definately don't remember my father ever being known as the Pudsey mafia, he has been dead since 1980, he did lead a shady life, he did know the Kray's, he did have his run ins with the law but in all my 50 years of knowing him he was never refered to as the Pudsey Mafia.All his 'ducking and diving' was in town, or further afield.Some facinating entries on this thread though.efl i seem to remember your family living in a house at the back of the the club at the end of grangefield industrial estate & my dad was also friends with your family he was called alan bailey (he was a ducker & diver lol). & i also seem to remember a connection with your dad and the club but cant remember what though am i correct on this ?Paul

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

District Judges are ,as stated ,what the former stipendiary magistrates used to be,Not every Magistrates Court has one though.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

wilfbarr

Post by wilfbarr »

carith wrote: dsco wroteAnyone know where either his home addresses were? Can't find them on a modern map... do our 'old map' experts have any ideas?Somerset street was in the quarry Hill area and Springfield Terrace is listed (1901 Census)as in the Burmantoft area the parish of St Stephens their was an article in the yorkshire evening post a few years back on him wilfbarr
wilfbarr

keyholekate

Post by keyholekate »

wilfbarr wrote: carith wrote: dsco wroteAnyone know where either his home addresses were? Can't find them on a modern map... do our 'old map' experts have any ideas?Somerset street was in the quarry Hill area and Springfield Terrace is listed (1901 Census)as in the Burmantoft area the parish of St Stephens their was an article in the yorkshire evening post a few years back on him wilfbarr Here is a link to a video about Owney Madden,starts off with his Leeds roots Wilfbarr http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 0751982971#

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

having just read about him,Urban Grimshaw alias Lee Kirton should be mentioned here.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

fell runner

Post by fell runner »

Would that be the book ' Urban Grimshaw and the shed crew' by Bernard Hare ? a cracking good read !I knew all the hideaways,ginnels and garages mentioned in the book,most of them were ,and some still are, around East End Park.

fell runner

Post by fell runner »

anyone remember a guy called Jimmy Nugent ? he played amateur rugby league for Queens in the mid-seventies.He was a bruiser and a bit of a nutcase, I had the pleasure ? of playing against him a few times.An ex-referee told me he passed away a few years ago.