Infamous Sons & Daughters of Leeds

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Steve Jones

Re: Infamous Sons & Daughters of Leeds

Post by Steve Jones »

j.c.d. wrote:
Wiljoy wrote:What was the name of the murderer who commited his crime in Middleton park in 1935 or thereabout

That would be David Blake of Beeston who murdered a girl the night before he got married. I think details have been posted on here before but you could get them on Google I guess. I remember my Mother saying that the whole of Leeds seemed to be in shock at this callous act.
link to article on the case in Yorkshire Post:
http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-5049835
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

j.c.d.

Re:

Post by j.c.d. »

micass1949 wrote:fell runner wrote: yorkiesknob wrote: fell runner wrote: anyone remember a guy called Jimmy Nugent ? he played amateur rugby league for Queens in the mid-seventies.He was a bruiser and a bit of a nutcase, I had the pleasure ? of playing against him a few times.An ex-referee told me he passed away a few years ago. I knew of him, I suppot Milford so didn' t really see him play. But I beleive he was well know around the traps as a" hardman".Some of my old Brudenell school mates played with him at the Queens.Seemed to remember he had a head made for radio. Yes,he certainly did ! I'm hoping to play masters rugby for either Milford or East Leeds this summer.How is Brisbane ? I was there in Nov 2008 for the rugby. Stayed in Vulture Street near the cricket ground. One helluva storm while we were there ! blew my washing half way up the street ! Jimmy Nugent died around 1990 from what seemed some sort of blood related disorder. I was at his funeral and so were the "hardmen of Burley" A lot of people were there at the funeral. I know this thread is old but I would be interested in news of Terry Mitchell. I have been told but not confirmed he was killed in a car accident. I do remember he went to "Princes Gym" and regularly would run to Otley and back for "exercise"

Just catching up with these old but very interesting articles/ posts.
As for Jimmy Nugent I knew him after his Milford days when we both frequented Stan Dodds Pub "The Beech" in Tong Road. Jim was O.K. until he had a lot to drink and of anyone upset him he became a real nasty piece of work and just did not stop with one punch

j.c.d.

Re:

Post by j.c.d. »

chameleon wrote:second threead started with thee same title - I've put the post into here:FROMwilfbarrUser Location: leeds Joined on: 10-Nov-2009 14:56:06Posted: 24 posts # Posted on: 22-Mar-2010 09:05:04.    Edit | Quote any one remember the chief magistrate cleworth i think he lived in scarbrough in the late seventys wilfbarr info please wilfbarr     

In the late 1950s a friend of mine David Mguire and three other lads were in a gents toilet somewhere around Leeds centre and one of them was tapped up by a homosexual (Illegal at the time) and wrongly knocked him about. the Police caught up with them later that night and they were duly summoned to appear in court. One of the four accused was named Walsh, at that time there was a very notorious family on Halton Moor Estate called Walsh. ( don't think he was even related) but magistrate Clewerth received a threatening letter to him and his family to the effect "Let Them Off Or Else" signed The Walsh family. Now this magistrate had a reputation for being strict but fair but once this appeared on the front page of the Yorks Evening Post that was that. when they appeared in court instead of a reprimand and a fine they were quickly sent to jail, 2 years I think.

j.c.d.

Re:

Post by j.c.d. »

Apologies. Error

j.c.d.

Re:

Post by j.c.d. »

EFL wrote:skippy wrote: hi pashy, just remembered the name of the night club on north street, the windmill, i saw the dallas boys there, it was all a bit cloak and dagger stuff, knock on the door, and someone would look through the peephole in the door, but it was a great little club. The little club down stairs in kirkgate was called the Embassy, my dad was involved there, with big Jim Moran, Barry Samples, Little Tony Heath, Denis Huckerby. My earlist memories of that place was picking the bits of glass out of the feather boa wearing girls painted on the stage back drop, thought they were real diamonds. The windmill peephole was because gaming wasn't totally legal then, didn't stop some of the local constabulary going in there though! Billy Bremner, Jack Charlton Gary Sprake Mick Bates but to name a few often went in as well, my dad brought their autographs home every other week. Happy times as they say.

That little place down the steps wedged between the Regent Pub and what became The Chicken Inn on Kirkgate went under quite a few names including "The Pit", the people you mention above, Denis Huckerby (and his wife Mavis) owned the Windmill club on North Street , Little Tony Heath was a very good singer but was a better comedian, more or less resident at the Windmill.
Barry Samples was another "Debt Collector" mainly from the Jewish fraternity but I saw him got his "Cummuppance"in the Bridge Club on Harrogate Road. Barry had collected some monies on behalf of someone well out of Leeds and somehow never got round to passing it on.
The person waiting for his money, who was a big man, walked in to the club as Barry was sat having lunch. The details are not important.
I would say that of all the various Bouncers / Doormen I ever saw in Leeds Barry Samples was the sharpest dresser.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Does anyone remember "Billy Two Rivers" the wrestler ? he was supposed to be a full blooded red indian but I did hear someone say he was originally from Wortley. in the late 1950s my boss was owed some money from another Jewish lad up Harrogate Road. he put Billy on a retainer and I drove them both up to this Tailors shop.
We walked in now this Billy was a big bugg.r and my gaffer pointed to the man and said "Throw him through that window" The little fellow could not pay up quick enough

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Of all the Doormen ? Bouncers I ever knew or knew of the nastiest piece of work was Jim Moran. Jim was a very big man who was quite mild until it came to "His work" his main job through the day at one time was collecting bad debts for Jim Windsor, the Leeds Bookmaker. the only way to get a gambling debt sorted was to send "Jim Round" he also worked odd night on the door at Windsor's Commercial Club on Vicar Lane and seemed to enjoy throwing various folks down the flight of stairs. He also worked on the door at the Windmill North Street and when it was announced "Glasses Please Now" he could clear that place in minutes.
Though his Pal Paul Luty and he did some Professional Wrestling it was JIm who went to India on more than one occasion wrestling. because of his size he was like a God out there.
But he was nasty with it and always wanted to really hurt his opponent. I recall once when th were was wrestling at Manchester Bell Vue he was to fight this little Japanese and before the fight in the ring the Jap was kidding to throw powder at Mr. Moran, who did not like that a bit. a three round bout did not last one as Jim knocked the mans front teeth out. The Promoter Les Kellet came over and bollo.ed Jim but it was water off a ducks back.
Though we was a big ugly Man he attracted a fair amount of fan mail which was always delivered to Danny's Hairdressers on Selby Road . I don't know if Jim could not read or not but I do know he used to like Danny to read the m to him.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Paul Luty (Graham) was a part time wrestler who also did some door work on the Leeds club scene plus he got a part in the Railway Children film though only at the end plus he was the Barman in the Prison Officers club in the T.V. Porridge. Sorry perhaps I have gone away from the Infamous theme.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

There was an old lady murdered in her sweet shop in Lady Pit Lane Beeston around 1970, I can't recall who did it though I seem to recall it was a schoolboy. I do remember that every body living in Beeston had to go to a Portacabin near Cross Flatts Park. It was a strange feeling having your prints taken but they must have had some idea of what they they were looking for as they then tore the prints up in front of us immediately
Perhaps someone could supply the name of the murderer etc.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Can't remember the details, but I was also tested as I lived in Maud avenue at the time. I'm pretty sure that the youth got someone else to go in and say they were him, but the police found out somehow. It would have been between october 1973 and mid 1976