Infamous Sons & Daughters of Leeds

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

To complement the other thread, I thought I would start one to commemorate all the infamous murderers,crooks, conmen & women etc who have either been born in Leeds or lived in Leeds over the century ,or had an association with it such as Charlie Peace the 19th century murderer who was locked up in Leeds for murder or Mary Bateman the so called "Witch of Leeds" (she was never a witch, but a phony fortune teller at one stage) executed for murdering a client and whose skeleton is in the Thackery medical museum.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

anyone remember barry prudham,from seacroft?
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

he was the killer trapped and shot by police in the 1980's wasn't he?i lived in York at the time, and think this was the case i listened in to on my normal radio that picked up short wave police bands before they switched to the modern method.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Steve Jones wrote: he was the killer trapped and shot by police in the 1980's wasn't he?i lived in York at the time, and think this was the case i listened in to on my normal radio that picked up short wave police bands before they switched to the modern method. thats the chap...whenever these charachters appear,the press always seem to say that the person is believed to be ex-special forces,although it was ex-special forces trainer and survival and tracking legend 'eddie mcgee' that cornered him as i remember.

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

Jimmy Savile for a start! That Louis Theroux documentary still keeps coming back to me.And Mel B for seconds......

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

eddie Mcgee!That was the case I listened in too. I remember they called in a helicopter with heat seeking equipment when they thought he was in a barn. I was amazed to hear them mention calling in riflemen to shoot him when the force did not "officially" have any!Those were the days as I said earlier where you could pick up police messages on an ordinary radio if it had shortwave band on it.he was shot before being arrested thus saving a long and expensive trial. i knew after listening to the radio messages there was no way he was going to make it to court!

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

Peter Sutcliffe didn't live in Leeds (Manningham) but many of his awful crimes were carried out there. I remember the handwriting of the so-called Geordie Ripper on adverts all over the buses.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

oldleedsman wrote: Peter Sutcliffe didn't live in Leeds (Manningham) but many of his awful crimes were carried out there. I remember the handwriting of the so-called Geordie Ripper on adverts all over the buses. Donald Neilsen, The Black Panther lived in Bradford, but he was born Donald Nappie in Morley. He changed his name for fairly obvious reasons and picked Neilsen from the Ice Cream firm.
Industria Omnia Vincit

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

oldleedsman wrote: Peter Sutcliffe didn't live in Leeds (Manningham) but many of his awful crimes were carried out there. I remember the handwriting of the so-called Geordie Ripper on adverts all over the buses. 'IT' lived in heaton,not manningham.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

wiggy wrote: anyone remember barry prudham,from seacroft? Yeah,they burid him in Harehills cemetery,unmarked grave,but i knew where it was.Forgot now though.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]