Coal Mines in Leeds

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Excellent items on Gipton Pit and the colliery railway, can be found in this small booklet, to be found in Oakwood Library.
Attachments
__TFMF_j4fljt5523unvp55tgqw5f55_7cdd8fd9-0071-4304-bdc5-723a50fb0848_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_j4fljt5523unvp55tgqw5f55_7cdd8fd9-0071-4304-bdc5-723a50fb0848_0_main.jpg (284.05 KiB) Viewed 4720 times

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Brunel wrote: Excellent items on Gipton Pit and the colliery railway, can be found in this small booklet, to be found in Oakwood Library. Is it a reference book?? Will go and have a look if so. Don't want to go and it's out? - Have you taken it out??

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The Parksider wrote: Brunel wrote: Excellent items on Gipton Pit and the colliery railway, can be found in this small booklet, to be found in Oakwood Library. Is it a reference book?? Will go and have a look if so. Don't want to go and it's out? - Have you taken it out?? Steady now, can feel the rush of air over here - your blood pressure will be worse than mine if you keep this up

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

I will be returning it on Mon.You will find it along with many other booklets by the Oakwood Historical Soc. in the local history section.

kenneth

Post by kenneth »

Many years ago there used to be a mock up of a coal mine in Leeds City Museum in the days when the Museum was located on Park Row when the HBos bank building is now
"The Future is not what it used to be"Regards- Kenneth

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

kenneth wrote: Many years ago there used to be a mock up of a coal mine in Leeds City Museum in the days when the Museum was located on Park Row when the HBos bank building is now You might find this of interest or even amusing -http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... ighLight=1

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

This should prove useful to all the "bookworms"http://librarycatalogue.leedslearning.netIf you search for Oakwood Historical Society.Shows 11 copies of the above book available.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Brunel wrote: This should prove useful to all the "bookworms"http://librarycatalogue.leedslearning.netIf you search for Oakwood Historical Society.Shows 11 copies of the above book available. Thank you kind sir.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

chameleon wrote: [Steady now, can feel the rush of air over here - your blood pressure will be worse than mine if you keep this up Enthusiasm is the elixir of life.You would not want me to be Victor Meldrew now would you?

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

kenneth wrote: Many years ago there used to be a mock up of a coal mine in Leeds City Museum in the days when the Museum was located on Park Row when the HBos bank building is now Yes, I went in with my mum, must have been about 4 years old then.One day the city may recognise it's mining/quarrying heritage again?For anyone interested who looks at the old mones/quarries Leeds had a number of "Calliard" quarries, which is a tightly packed type of sandstone.One of those words long forgotten and explanation courtesy of Mike Gill. Mike also kindly explains how coal may have been present in Moortown area due to a fault, or may be from a coal bed that wasn't the same as mined in south Leeds. Either way he has records of Moortwn Colliery producing coal.....