Merrion Centre

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Jann

Merrion Centre

Post by Jann »

Seen a article in Yorkshire evening post that over 1000 students flats are to be built in a redevelopment that’s going to happen at the Merrion Centre

Leodian

Re: Merrion Centre

Post by Leodian »

Jann wrote:
Tue 12 Dec, 2023 6:17 pm
Seen a article in Yorkshire evening post that over 1000 students flats are to be built in a redevelopment that’s going to happen at the Merrion Centre
Thanks for that Jann :).
This is a link to a report in the YEP website http://tinyurl.com/s7prfumy (using the Tiny URL website I've reduced what was a very long url link to the report to that short url).
One thing that caught my eye in the report was "Research commissioned by Cushman & Wakefield, in support of the application, found Leeds has a current ‘student to bed’ ratio of 2.13 to 1, with more than 26,000 students lacking access to purpose-built bed spaces". So there is still apparently a great need for more students flats!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jann

Post by Jann »

Hi Leodian ! Thank you for this information, I expect in years to come all students will have a purpose built bed space and the days of living in bed sitting rooms in shared houses -for example in the Headingly area may become a thing of the past !

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Leodian wrote:
Tue 12 Dec, 2023 9:05 pm
Jann wrote:
Tue 12 Dec, 2023 6:17 pm
Thanks for that Jann :).
This is a link to a report in the YEP website http://tinyurl.com/s7prfumy (using the Tiny URL website I've reduced what was a very long url link to the report to that short url).
One thing that caught my eye in the report was "Research commissioned by Cushman & Wakefield, in support of the application, found Leeds has a current ‘student to bed’ ratio of 2.13 to 1, with more than 26,000 students lacking access to purpose-built bed spaces". So there is still apparently a great need for more students flats!
There well may be, but these reports are usually commissioned by firms that hope to build expensive accommodation that most cannot afford

Jann

Post by Jann »

Hi chemimike yes I wonder how a lot of students are expected to afford what are going to be expensive rents for this type of accommodation, a friend of mine has a son who attends university in York-he can’t afford to rent anywhere there so spends a few days a week staying at a cousins spare room who lives in the area and other days commutes from Leeds to York and back