Much of a very large tree on Alwoodley Village Green, Leeds, has fallen.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Much of a very large tree on Alwoodley Village Green, Leeds, has fallen.

Post by Leodian »

A big part of what was a large oak tree (actually 2 or 3 trees growing so close they looked like just 1) on Alwoodley Village Green, Leeds, has come down in the night of July 15 2023. In full leaf it has been a magnificent sight for very many years and will be missed. I have added 2 photos that I took today (July 16 2023) and 1 that I took on June 7 2023 to show what it looked like then.
TreeAlwoodleyVillageGreenLeedsJuly162023(1)..jpg
TreeAlwoodleyVillageGreenLeedsJuly162023(1)..jpg (160.82 KiB) Viewed 7994 times
TreeAlwoodleyVillageGreenLeedsJuly162023(2)..jpg
TreeAlwoodleyVillageGreenLeedsJuly162023(2)..jpg (233.36 KiB) Viewed 7994 times
TreeAlwoodleyVillageGreenLeedsJune072023..jpg
TreeAlwoodleyVillageGreenLeedsJune072023..jpg (135.7 KiB) Viewed 7994 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jann

Re: Much of a very large tree on Alwoodley Village Green, Leeds, has fallen.

Post by Jann »

Hi Leodian, such a same this has happened to this tree ( group of trees) Will the council remove the remains of it ?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Jann wrote:
Tue 18 Jul, 2023 9:24 pm
Hi Leodian, such a same this has happened to this tree ( group of trees) Will the council remove the remains of it ?
Hi Jann :)

The fallen part and some of what remained standing have been cut into pieces yesterday (July 19 2023) and today (July 20 2023). It seemed to be a private company doing the work though it presumably was given the job by the City Council though possibly by the Alwoodley Parish Council.

I have attached 3 photos showing some of the work. The first 2 were taken yesterday and the third today. I noticed that at least the leaf cuttings were in a Tropical World (Roundhay) van but at least some of the wood chips have been scattered in the edge of the close by wood. The third photo shows the forlorn looking remains. It will be interesting to see if what remains is removed or if regrowth is hoped for.
WorkOnRecentlyPartFallenTreeAlwoodleyVillageGreenJuly192023(1)..jpg
WorkOnRecentlyPartFallenTreeAlwoodleyVillageGreenJuly192023(1)..jpg (139.88 KiB) Viewed 7861 times
WorkOnRecentlyPartFallenTreeAlwoodleyVillageGreenJuly192023(2)..jpg
WorkOnRecentlyPartFallenTreeAlwoodleyVillageGreenJuly192023(2)..jpg (219.89 KiB) Viewed 7861 times
WorkOnRecentlyPartFallenTreeAlwoodleyVillageGreenJuly202023..jpg
WorkOnRecentlyPartFallenTreeAlwoodleyVillageGreenJuly202023..jpg (123.96 KiB) Viewed 7861 times

Jann

Post by Jann »

Hi Leodian, I see not much time was wasted in getting the fallen branches etc removed and some of it is going to be reused, the remaining tree looks so very different, I hope it can recover and eventually start to regrow but I can’t imagine how long this will take, thank you for posting latest photos of this tree

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

During a stroll a few minutes back I noticed that large branches of a tree or trees in the wood have come down and cover part of Crag Lane track behind the Leos Social Club. This is only a short walk from the tree that is the subject of this thread. The track was clear when I walked along it in the late morning of August 6. I've noticed for a long while that many trees in the wood there (and near) look to be in distress and so falls seem likely to increase.