An art feature in City Square, Leeds.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Jann

Re: An art feature in City Square, Leeds.

Post by Jann »

Hi Leodian thank you for posting these photos of this’art installation’ I wonder how long it took to put it in place and once it’s dismantled what will happen to all the planks of wood etc ?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Jann wrote:
Thu 06 Jul, 2023 12:05 pm
Hi Leodian thank you for posting these photos of this’art installation’ I wonder how long it took to put it in place and once it’s dismantled what will happen to all the planks of wood etc ?
Hi Jann :). In information I found it states "Sustainability lies at the heart of the project, with the co-creators choosing to work with timber felled in the UK due to its low-carbon footprint and the opportunity to repurpose the wood back into the supply chain when the work is dismantled at the end of the year". Work installing it started during May and it was opened on or about June 15.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jann

Post by Jann »

Hi again Leodian thank you for the information about the installation in City Square and what will happen to it once it’s dismantled

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

It would have looked better bringing back the nymph lampholders instead of this monstrosity
Attachments
Morn Nymph.jpg
Morn Nymph.jpg (65.07 KiB) Viewed 5132 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

The people who commission this sort of thing are as thick as 2 planks. They shouldn't be allowed within a country mile of public funding. They will sign off on this sort of nonsense and in the next breath say there is no money for filling potholes due to "austerity".
Supposedly, it represents the trees in the ancient forest in this part of the world before Leeds existed. How pathetic! That pretty much applies to any city, except those reclaimed from the sea or swamps.
I could say it represented the rough "sleepers" I witnessed being rounded up and thrown into vans by the police in City Square in the late 60's when I waited for a late-night bus outside the Queen's Hotel.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Jann

Post by Jann »

Hi Buffaloskinner, have the nymph lamp holders been put into some archive the same as the Peter Pan statue that used to be in Roundhay Park ,

jma

Post by jma »

Jann wrote:
Sat 08 Jul, 2023 2:52 pm
Hi Buffaloskinner, have the nymph lamp holders been put into some archive the same as the Peter Pan statue that used to be in Roundhay Park ,
I only discovered recently from Leodis that those nymphs are or were known as the Drury Dames

https://www.leodis.net/viewimage/138145

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Jann wrote:
Sat 08 Jul, 2023 2:52 pm
They're still there aren't they? They were a few weeks back.

The Peter Pan statue is called Spirit of the Woods. It's still there in the middle of Canal Gardens in the water. I remember when it was on the opposite side of the road near the Roundhay Fox, minus it's arms and flute in a very sorry state.

Jann

Post by Jann »

Hello LSI , didn’t know the Peter Pan statue was still at Roundhay Park not been there for quite some time , it’s a shame if it’s not had any work on it to improve the state of it.

Jann

Post by Jann »

Hi Buffaloskinner, thank you for the link about the history of the nymph statue’s in City Square