Indian restaurants

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Huddsgolfer

Re: Indian restaurants

Post by Huddsgolfer »

It definitely wasn’t the Ashoka when we used to go in the mid to late 80’s.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

The first pass of Google streetview was June 2008 and they were Maliks and Zaidans back then https://goo.gl/maps/Bdm6PxvvDjt1TpvV7. By October 2012 there were hoardings up for "the new front". Presumably new front was part of the Arena related redevelopment of that part of the Merrion centre.

It is still a long stretch from 1982 - 2008 so I suspect there will have been at least 1 business in each of the premises over that period, including, unless I got my bearings slightly out, the Greek restaurant Jann and I recall.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

This is from circa 1993 Jalsha ???
Screenshot (32).png
Screenshot (32).png (4.87 KiB) Viewed 7999 times

Huddsgolfer

Post by Huddsgolfer »

The one I’m trying to think of was upstairs. It was licensed so I’m guessing it was Indian owned.

Huddsgolfer

Post by Huddsgolfer »

The Jalsha was on the left at the bottom of Merrion Street where it crosses Upper Briggate and becomes Harrison Street.

MikeO67

Post by MikeO67 »

In that area there have been loads of restaurants so it might be Standard Indian. Others include the Khoc Kos Chop House, the Mee Kee Chop Suey House, Scorpio Tavena, Zaidan’s Balti Restaurant & Takeaway, Merrion Fisheries, Ashoka, Jalsha, Chakwal and The Green Cedars. i didn't know Jalsha had moved to Harrison Street though.