Big wooden snake.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

LS1 wrote: ton wrote: Oh My God! Nobody else seems to remember that snake, I was beginning to think I was making it up! What year was it? My memories are quite vague but I remember really loving it and wanting my Dad to take me there every time we went to town. Must have been at least 1985-6 as I remember it as a young child...Anyone any other offers? Our son used to make a take-over bid for it and our daughter was just capable of negotiating it so that would be around '88.

Mork of Ork

Post by Mork of Ork »

Yeah it will have been the mid to late 80's as I always laiked on it as a nipper.

riclam

Post by riclam »

if you look on http://maps.live.com/ you can see remains of skyway and follow where it went

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

ton wrote: Oh My God! Nobody else seems to remember that snake, I was beginning to think I was making it up! What year was it? My memories are quite vague but I remember really loving it and wanting my Dad to take me there every time we went to town. it was near mothercarethere was also a dome with a clock that round it-very unusual.I think the shops are far better now in the mall than they were.has anyone noticed that the branches of H samuel are gradually disappearing?the co op had a nice cafe on the top floor.    
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

riclam

Post by riclam »

the co op had a nice cafe on the top floor.    i remember that and the toy departmnet with santahttp://www.flickr.com/photos/danielrobot/23262 ... 048827351/ the skywalk or most of it

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

I lived in Leeds for 50 years and I can honestly say I have NEVER seen the big wooden snake.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Si

Post by Si »

You haven't lived, mate!

A-M

Post by A-M »

I'm 24 and remember playing on it - very bizarre structure and probably nowadays some PC busibody would instruct it to be smashed to bits on grounds of health and safetyI would have only been around 5 or 6 at the time so it's one of those things I thought i'd imagined....until I saw this threadOn a sidenote, I always thought there used to be miniture red buses in glass cabinets on The Headrow - does anyone know if these actually existed?Joined the forum today, and think it's absolute quality

corsasi

Post by corsasi »

thanks for bringing this snake up. i had totally forgotten about it until i read this.i remember being really scarred of it when my mum took me to play in it the first time, and i wouldnt go in it lol.but then i loved it when i eventually went through and must have spent hours on a saturday playing in it (for being good whilst my mum was doing shopping lol)it did just disappear though wich was strange. does anyone have any photos of it anywhere?

exiled in essex

Post by exiled in essex »

The walkway that came out of the Bond Street centre and ran in front of the Norwich Union building and so on actually had a name - it was called 'East Parade Walk' (I'm pretty sure of this but correct me if I'm wrong). I remember finding it with a friend one day and exploring it! It had areas with benches and I used to sit up there and have my lunch when I worked in the city centre, aged 16.