Big wooden snake.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Mork of Ork wrote: We always used to ask if we could go on the big escalator when we went into town as kids. The top of the escalator sported what must have been one of the first tranch of CCTV cameras, during quiet times, it would look down awaiting users and upon reaching the top would turn to follow your progress.A quick u-turn to change direction and the camera would slowly turn to follow you - it didn't take much effort to then stay out of view behind it as it turned too and fro desperately trying to find you - I don't think the little man in the control room ever worked it out!(Was a big kid of about 24 at the time by the way!)

slw

Post by slw »

There used to be good Santa grotto's in the Bond Street, usually near where the Toyworld shop was. It was a "proper" Santa grotto with animated figures and Christmas scenes.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

There used to be a couple of "hidden" walkways as has been commented on.If you went up the big escalator from Boar Lane (which doesn't seem so big anymore!) and turned right, instead of going left towards Mothercare, you could follow it round and it ran as a covered walkway at around 2nd floor height along the front of what was the the Co-op department store, coming out at the top of the travellator down into the Trinity Arcades (near the upstairs entrance to Wilko's is now). I think you could also get along the back of the (then) derelict pub that became Squares and come out between C&A (now Next Clearance) and the Co-op entrance (now Wilko's lower entrance) near the bottom of the travellator.The other one I'd all but forgotten about until reading this thread. As has been said, another travellator at the side of Boots took you up (although it was seldom working) and onto a walkway that led to a bridge across Park Row. This ran directly across the front of the offices (I think this was the horrible old 60's Norwich Union Building) at the top of City Square before corkscrewing down onto the piazza off Infirmary Street near the new mini bus station. There was also a spiral staircase down just after crossing Park Row and more traditional ramps on the other side.The cafe in the Bond Street was "Le Jardinere" (a friend worked there on Saturdays in the 80's briefly) and I have to agree the Bond Street Centre was much more impressive when it was the old "full height" before they squeezed the new floors in so they could have extra empty shop units about the place. I remember the snake too after reading about it!
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Interesting about these walkways, I have not seen pics of them, and do not remeber them myself. Any odeas when they were removed (Park row one especially), or if there are any pics about? Cant seem to see any on Leodis

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

The bridge across park row also hosted part of Leeds's Christmas lights You can just about see the bridge here http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 25803774it ran in front of the norwich union building replaced by 1 city square. The building on the east side I mentioned earlier belonged to nat west
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

tomd89

Post by tomd89 »

What a great forum this is! (just found it)On the leodis photo that tyke bhoy posted, is the start of the walkway to the Bond Street Centre at the bottom in front of the Church?Also, what used to be through the boarded up area in between Wilcos nd Next, was this a walkway?Thanks

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Indeed it was. It was not long covered by the boards from what I remember. They were put up I think when Wilko took over the Co-op. I remember youths used to congregate there and there were some railings and like a balcony there that looked over onto Boar Lane.

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

tyke bhoy wrote: The bridge across park row also hosted part of Leeds's Christmas lights You can just about see the bridge here http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 25803774it ran in front of the norwich union building replaced by 1 city square. The building on the east side I mentioned earlier belonged to nat west Cheers Tyke Bhoy, what a fantastic photo. We used to come out of the Bond Street centre and run like buggery round the walkway right down Infirmary street and down the spiralling exit with our mums shouting at us to come back. Incidentally there was a branch of that walkway that went to the building behind where 1 city sqaure is now (Sun Alliance i think) and that part is still there although the end is sealed up.

ton

Post by ton »

Oh My God! Nobody else seems to remember that snake, I was beginning to think I was making it up! What year was it? My memories are quite vague but I remember really loving it and wanting my Dad to take me there every time we went to town.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

ton wrote: Oh My God! Nobody else seems to remember that snake, I was beginning to think I was making it up! What year was it? My memories are quite vague but I remember really loving it and wanting my Dad to take me there every time we went to town. Must have been at least 1985-6 as I remember it as a young child...Anyone any other offers?